What Size Speakers (And How Many Exactly) Come In The Es350 Standards

kevinsabourin

I don't have the ML system, just the standards Lexus "Premium" audio system. I'm confused though on how many speakers there are? What are there sizes? And is there a sub? I am actually picking up the car tomorrow so I can't verify by opening it up quite yet. I have a pair of Infinity reference 6.5 w/ tweeters & some infinity 6x9 but is that enough? Is there speaker slots for anything else like in the dash or back by the back window? Thanks so much I can't seem to find this specific into anywhere online! - Kevin

Mine is the 2011 without ML and it has 8 speakers which sound great.

Why mess with speaker replacements, etc.

If really into the sound system, recommend switching to a car with the ML system..pretty sick sound!!, but it was not worth the price for me anyway

I don't have the ML system, just the standards Lexus "Premium" audio system. I'm confused though on how many speakers there are? What are there sizes? And is there a sub? I am actually picking up the car tomorrow so I can't verify by opening it up quite yet. I have a pair of Infinity reference 6.5 w/ tweeters & some infinity 6x9 but is that enough? Is there speaker slots for anything else like in the dash or back by the back window? Thanks so much I can't seem to find this specific into anywhere online! - Kevin

I know your not going to like this answer, but unfortunately or not, riping and replacing speakers is not a good idea. You'll end up with a really unbalanced mess and a disappointing end result.

The Lexus system is made up of a series of matched and balanced crossovers and specific impedance speakers that are in turn, married to a matched amp. When you stick in a speaker willy-nilly it will not match that crossover network and sound like crap.

That being said, I was able to add a small sub to my 2010 ES in the trunk, with a separate amp to improve the bass line. It really filled out the bottom and made the whole system sound better. Other than that, there is not a car audio shop in my city that will touch a Lexus when it comes to ripping out OEM equipment and putting in after market speakers and crossovers. If you still want to try it, just make sure your new speaker is the same impedance as the OEM so you don't blow the amplifier.

Let us know what you do.

Paul

I know your not going to like this answer, but unfortunately or not, riping and replacing speakers is not a good idea. You'll end up with a really unbalanced mess and a disappointing end result.

The Lexus system is made up of a series of matched and balanced crossovers and specific impedance speakers that are in turn, married to a matched amp. When you stick in a speaker willy-nilly it will not match that crossover network and sound like crap.

That being said, I was able to add a small sub to my 2010 ES in the trunk, with a separate amp to improve the bass line. It really filled out the bottom and made the whole system sound better. Other than that, there is not a car audio shop in my city that will touch a Lexus when it comes to ripping out OEM equipment and putting in after market speakers and crossovers. If you still want to try it, just make sure your new speaker is the same impedance as the OEM so you don't blow the amplifier.

Let us know what you do.

Paul

I don't get it..perhaps I am too old, lol

my system sounds great...listened to the ML system before I bought my standard one, and the ML was absolutely amazing..that should be the move I would think for anyone who has amazing sound as a priority

Sound quality is relative I suppose. Some people may think this Lexus "Premium" system is good, I do not. Though better than most stock speakers... it's muddy. Anybody who has experienced a polk audio or infinity system or better would recognize this. That said... My original post was to figure out what actual speaker sizes are in the 2008 model as this info seems to be nowhere online. I found something on the 2010 - 2011 models but since I picked up the car today... I noticed that the speaker configuration is different. It seems there is an 8" sub in the back, a mid size speaker (perhaps 6.5" ?) in each door, and 2 tweeters in the dash. BUT.... that's only 7 speakers... it says this model has 8 speakers? There is a grill on the center front dash but is that really a speaker? Another sub perhaps? I don't hear any music coming from it though... I WOULD LOVE ANYBODY WHO KNOWS THE SPEAKER CONFIG FOR THIS CAR TO LET ME KNOW BEFORE I HAVE TO RIP IT APART TO FIND OUT! If I do... I will let you all know what I find. Thanks ;o)

I found this here but it doesn't say any sizes on it. Maybe I can call them tomorrow or something.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=ES350&year=2008&catalogCode=282480&VAID=1513,1515&selectConditions=()&goBack=false&sectionID=4&componentsID=86-02&componentsIndex=26&isBigPicture=True

Sound quality is relative I suppose. Some people may think this Lexus "Premium" system is good, I do not. Though better than most stock speakers... it's muddy. Anybody who has experienced a polk audio or infinity system or better would recognize this. That said... My original post was to figure out what actual speaker sizes are in the 2008 model as this info seems to be nowhere online. I found something on the 2010 - 2011 models but since I picked up the car today... I noticed that the speaker configuration is different. It seems there is an 8" sub in the back, a mid size speaker (perhaps 6.5" ?) in each door, and 2 tweeters in the dash. BUT.... that's only 7 speakers... it says this model has 8 speakers? There is a grill on the center front dash but is that really a speaker? Another sub perhaps? I don't hear any music coming from it though... I WOULD LOVE ANYBODY WHO KNOWS THE SPEAKER CONFIG FOR THIS CAR TO LET ME KNOW BEFORE I HAVE TO RIP IT APART TO FIND OUT! If I do... I will let you all know what I find. Thanks ;o)

did you listen to an es with the ML sound system?

my guess is that you would be satisfied with it, and if so, way easier than modifying an es without ML

The center speaker in the dash is for the navigation voice. If your car doesn't have nav. I don't know if there is a speaker there at all. Yes, the door speakers are 6.5" but require a special bracket to mount an aftermarket speaker because the Lexus speaker has a wierd size magnet and depth.

I told you, you wouldn't like my previous answer.

The stock system in the ES isn't incredible no, its okay and with listening to it over time I've come to enjoy it, but for someone used to higher end sound I can see how it would be muddy...

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/17/2011 at 11:22 PM, pj8708 said:

Let us know what you do.

All these negative Nancy's on here. You can run any speakers however you want. Just don't bridge a factory amp below 4ohms. Aftermarket are rated as needed. Im pretty sure if your just replacing factory with new. Ohms will be fine. Just don't change the way its wired. Ouse woofers normally run 8ihms. Car audio 4ohmd. Subwoofers can go down below 1ohm. But those are also doc's and up. No tweeters or midrange speakers are dvc. And if so its pointless. No car manufacturer has a stereo thats impossible to replace either. These days anything & everything is possible.

All these negative Nancy's on here. Lol. You can run any speakers you want. Only time you have to worry about ohms is with subwoofers. Unless your changing the wiring & bridging your mids & highs amp? Which I dont know why someone would do? Typically house stereos are 8ohms. Car Audio 4ohms. Subwoofers .5 - 4ohms single, dvc, & quad coils. Thats where ohms come in. When you run series parallel or up! And you are bridging a subwoofer. A car speaker will be fine if ohms are a little different. Just don't run factory amps or aftermarket below 1ohm. Unless stated otherwise. But with highs, & midrange. You will never have to do that. They don't make dvc highs. You'll be ok. Every stereo is upgradeable. Trust me!! And everything & anything is possible now n days. 

Edited by RMs Electronics
Misspelling

• 2 years later...

would anybody happen to know what size speaker goes on the top dash of a 2008 Lexus ES 350 mine currently has the ML system just bought the car and new to the Lexus club still learning about this car so far i’m loving it as said before just bought it and noticed that almost all the speakers in the car are pretty much blown besides the factory sub any help/advise would be great thank u in advance