Hybrid Vs Electric Cars

Steve

You know if all I had was a commuter car, the electric would kind of make sense, but if you only have one vehicle and is used for everything, than the hybrid fits the bill. That said their are lots of vehicles that get great mileage that are neither....

Around here with a lot of multi-car households, the electric car will become increasingly popular. The main reason will be access to the carpool lane while driving solo. Hybrids (with the yellow sticks) just lost that access.

The problem with electric cars is one of flexibility, until you can get in an electric car and drive it across the country and be able to stop and recharge it in about the same amount of time you'd be able to refuel a gas car, they won't be mainstream. Even if people don't have that need, they need that flexibility in order to feel comfortable.

But, that technology is coming. In Japan now they have electric battery pack swap stations where instead of refueling a pre-charge interchangeable battery pack is dropped from under the car and replaced in about 15 seconds...they're starting a similar pilot program in CA.

The problem with electric cars is one of flexibility, until you can get in an electric car and drive it across the country and be able to stop and recharge it in about the same amount of time you'd be able to refuel a gas car, they won't be mainstream. Even if people don't have that need, they need that flexibility in order to feel comfortable.

But, that technology is coming. In Japan now they have electric battery pack swap stations where instead of refueling a pre-charge interchangeable battery pack is dropped from under the car and replaced in about 15 seconds...they're starting a similar pilot program in CA.

Sounds like somebody keeps up with MotorWeek.

"Hello, I'm John Davis...like my yellow shirt and beige jacket? I've been wearing it for nearly 10 years now!"

I agree with SW on the support aspect of this technology. The "product" is there, but the support infrastructure hasn't caught up...yet.