Tilting/memory Mirrors Problem

I'm having an issue with my side view mirrors on my 2007 IS250.

I have the mirrors with tilt-down in reverse and memory. Over the years, the tilt down would stop tilting occasionally. The dealer could never find an issue.

I finally tried shooting some WD40 back behind the mirrors into the housing today.

Now--they mirrors won't stop when they get to the memory position. They keep going up. They don't stop when they get tilt as high as they go--they keep trying to tilt up and up until I hit the mirror directional button.

I can turn of the tilt-down in reverse as a band aid. But I can't erase the memory positions. I followed the instructions in the manual, but it didn't work.

Soooo-every time that I unlock the car, the mirrors try to find the memory settings, and keep tilting up and up until I hit the directional button to stop them.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's help on (1) solving the mirror adjustment problem, or (2) just clearing the memory from the seats.

Thanks so much--feel free to PM me too.

Hello Tex,

Clearing your memory is a little problematic. It is designed to simply retain one setting at a time and not to clear one before a new one is entered. An idea to try is pulling the fuse that controls that circuit for five minutes or so and see if that will clear the chip. Otherwise, a more extreme measure would be to disconnect the cars battery and let it rest for five or ten minutes. THAT will definitely clear the memory and all of your other settings in the car as well.

That said, I'm doubtful that is going to solve your problem. Obviously the WD-40 was not a good idea. I would urge you to take it to a dealer and have them take a look at it, since if it didn't have a problem before it does now.

Paul

Hello Tex,

Clearing your memory is a little problematic. It is designed to simply retain one setting at a time and not to clear one before a new one is entered. An idea to try is pulling the fuse that controls that circuit for five minutes or so and see if that will clear the chip. Otherwise, a more extreme measure would be to disconnect the cars battery and let it rest for five or ten minutes. THAT will definitely clear the memory and all of your other settings in the car as well.

That said, I'm doubtful that is going to solve your problem. Obviously the WD-40 was not a good idea. I would urge you to take it to a dealer and have them take a look at it, since if it didn't have a problem before it does now.

Paul

Thx, Paul.

I tried pulling the fuse, but I didn't pull it out that long. I'll definitely try that again. I should have been more specific--you can't clear the memory, but the manual says you can unlink the key fob from the memory position--THAT is what I can't get to work.

I will be calling the dealer next.

UPDATE:

My car was in the shop Monday for something else (not the dealer). He was stumped too, and had never seen this happen before.

Now it's Wednesday--and the mirrors are back to working normally. I guess the WD40 just wore off.

Lesson learned--don't WD40 behind the mirror glass....

UPDATE:

My car was in the shop Monday for something else (not the dealer). He was stumped too, and had never seen this happen before.

Now it's Wednesday--and the mirrors are back to working normally. I guess the WD40 just wore off.

Lesson learned--don't WD40 behind the mirror glass....

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Hope it stays working.