1999 Es200 With P1133 Code And Rough Idle

fpt2001

My 1999 ES300 (130K miles) had the check engine light come on, stay on , and sometimes flash. Also, the VSC lights came on. The engine runs rough and it is very obvious at idle. The lights do not go off and come back on.

Codes were pulled and they were P1133, P0303, P0302. Reading through the forum I see a lot of different ideas but none of them state they have rough idle. Also, some say the P1133 is an O2 sensor and some say it is the AF sensor.

Any ideas before I HAVE to go to the dealer before it stops running.

Well, considering the codes it makes perfect sense that it's running rough... it should be running rough. Sounds like the bank 1 sensor is failing or has failed. Probably the reason for the misfire codes but not necessarily, try erasing the codes and see if they come back. If they do, you need to replace the sensor. As for the misfire codes, last time it was tuned up was?

Well, considering the codes it makes perfect sense that it's running rough... it should be running rough. Sounds like the bank 1 sensor is failing or has failed. Probably the reason for the misfire codes but not necessarily, try erasing the codes and see if they come back. If they do, you need to replace the sensor. As for the misfire codes, last time it was tuned up was?

Belts, plugs, seals, a year ago at the dealer. Dealer around here is somewhat reasonable on most things.

I will reset and see what happens tonight.

I believe es 300's went to a/f sensors sometime around '99, thus the confusion. They operate a bit differently from o2 sensors, but for the same purpose.

I'd start with simple things, like resetting. If it's over 100K, then replacing the sensor wouldn't be too difficult, and not a wasted purchase as they do need to be replaced at this age. If ya do this and it's still running rough, then go looking for other problems.

LL

I believe es 300's went to a/f sensors sometime around '99, thus the confusion. They operate a bit differently from o2 sensors, but for the same purpose.

I'd start with simple things, like resetting. If it's over 100K, then replacing the sensor wouldn't be too difficult, and not a wasted purchase as they do need to be replaced at this age. If ya do this and it's still running rough, then go looking for other problems.

LL

I suggest to isolate the problem by looking into P0303 and P0302 by swapping Ignition Coil #3 move to #6 meaning switching Ignition Coil between them. Reset or ease the codes. Start the engine on idle and wait for the Engine Check light to appear. Then shut the engine, read the codes and if #3 (P0303) transfer to #6 (P0306) then you should know that the ignition coil is inoperation. Ignition Coil #6 should be replaced. If P0303 appears rather P0306 then it could be the spark plug or the wirings. Tell us the results of your troubleshoot method.

Tried the reset and started up with a rough idle followed by the VSC & Check Engine light.

Just a note, the car was running great and, while driving at 45-50mph, the lights came on and the miss started. You cant tell there is a miss while at 55-60. Other than the fuel gauge dropping quicker than normal

What may be a cause, the catalytic converter started rattling. I thought it was a loose heat shield or bracket but it is the Convertor. I am havin it replaced in the morning and will see what happens. This could be a second, unrelated, issue.

Not sure whether I hope its the AF sensor or one of the O2 sensors.

It was a coil.

One of the reasons I didnt think it was a coil was the codes identified 2 cylinders that did not share a coil. Moving the coils around would not have cured the miss.

When this first happened I went to AutoZone, OReillys, and Advance Auto and got the same three codes. Cyl2 Cyl3 and a P1133 code. The P1133 was the one throwing me off. It kept pointing to a sensor. Also, I had somepone comment " Well, considering the codes it makes perfect sense that it's running rough." Well, the search throughout the forums never indicated a rough idle, only a check engine light or VCS lights.

Catalytic converter was replaced but the rough idle and lights stayed. Took it to my dealer and they diagnosed it in about 5 minutes. My dealer has been very resonable on prices.