Extremely Poor Gas Mileage (2007 Es350)

smehmood

I bought a 2007 ES350 two weeks ago. I filled it with 91 octane. The gas mileage is extremely poor, it is around 30L/100 KM. I drove it in city only. Please advise why the gas mileage is so poor? What should I do to fix this? I'm very disappointed with this mileage.

Is this common or a known problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

Note: I've corrected the gas mileage

• Like 1

I bought a 2007 ES350 two weeks ago. I filled it with 91 octane. The gas mileage is extremely poor, it is around 18L/100 KM. I drove it in city only. Please advise why the gas mileage is so poor? What should I do to fix this? I'm very disappointed with this mileage.

Thanks

wow, about 13MPG in US terms, that is horrible

something is definitely wrong, and it is not the level of octane in the gas!

when I drive all city, and aggressively, I still get about 18MPG or in your terms, about 13L/100KM

mine is a 2011, but that is not the difference

could be a bunch of things...best to take it to Lexus service

I bought a 2007 ES350 two weeks ago. I filled it with 91 octane. The gas mileage is extremely poor, it is around 18L/100 KM. I drove it in city only. Please advise why the gas mileage is so poor? What should I do to fix this? I'm very disappointed with this mileage.

Thanks

You say you just bought the car two weeks ago. Do you know any of it's history, last tune-up, how new the tires are; miles on them. IMO, start with the basics if the car is new to you. How many miles on it? Does it need plugs, air filter,etc.

Unless you bought it Certified, (not sure you have that program in Canada) It could need several things or a diagnostic run down.

My 2010 gets 19.1 to 19.4 mpg pretty regularly around the city. Highway is around 28 mpg.

Welcome to the LOC. Lets us know how you come out.

I bought a 2007 ES350 two weeks ago. I filled it with 91 octane. The gas mileage is extremely poor, it is around 30L/100 KM. I drove it in city only. Please advise why the gas mileage is so poor? What should I do to fix this? I'm very disappointed with this mileage.

Thanks

with your corrected gas mileage of 30L/100KM, that is about 8MPG

that is RIDICULOUS...it must be leaking!!!

is there gas under the car after it is parked for a while which perhaps you have thought was just condensation from the air conditioning??

Thanks

You say you just bought the car two weeks ago. Do you know any of it's history, last tune-up, how new the tires are; miles on them. IMO, start with the basics if the car is new to you. How many miles on it? Does it need plugs, air filter,etc.

Unless you bought it Certified, (not sure you have that program in Canada) It could need several things or a diagnostic run down.

My 2010 gets 19.1 to 19.4 mpg pretty regularly around the city. Highway is around 28 mpg.

Welcome to the LOC. Lets us know how you come out.

No, it don't have the history. Actually it is a pretty new car; only 90,000KM on it. Tires are new too, I checked the pressure as well and it is fine. I think the next service is not due until 96000km. No, it is not certified however I bought it from Toyota Financing from auction through a dealer.

Thanks

with your corrected gas mileage of 30L/100KM, that is about 8MPG

that is RIDICULOUS...it must be leaking!!!

is there gas under the car after it is parked for a while which perhaps you have thought was just condensation from the air conditioning??

No, the gas is not leaking.

I have an ES350, 2010. On a recent trip to New Orleans, on the return trip I got 33.7 mpg. I was skeptical, so I checked the milage on Mapquest and it was correct. I also checked that I didn't underfill the tank by checking my milage on the next fillup. It was around 30 mpg, my usual. On the trip where I got 33.7, it was entirely highway, 70 mph with cruise control, air conditioner on, and regular gas. Can't beat that.

To the OP: How are you calculating that? Are you relying on the readout or are you calculating it yourself?

My guess would be the trip computer is malfunctioning...try calculating it longhand for a tank. Refill, reset the trip odometer and see how far you go until its empty again. If that mileage is accurate, it should only be about 100 miles until the gas light comes on again...

Just something I noticed, if you have put a few KM on it and idled it a bit the gas consumption while the engine is running causes the computer to miss read. Yesterday, I was idling the car while the salesman showed me a bunch of stuff, my computer showed 24l/100km way off track, but may car has just 53km on it, that's why it showed that way. Just thought I would throw that in to the mix.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ES350, 2010. On a recent trip to New Orleans, on the return trip I got 33.7 mpg. I was skeptical, so I checked the milage on Mapquest and it was correct. I also checked that I didn't underfill the tank by checking my milage on the next fillup. It was around 30 mpg, my usual. On the trip where I got 33.7, it was entirely highway, 70 mph with cruise control, air conditioner on, and regular gas. Can't beat that.

In August I made a round trip from Virginia up to Canada and tracked my mileage. The trip totaled 1,695 miles (about 70% on interstates) and I used a total of 54.4 gallons of fuel (premium) which means I got 31.16 miles/gallon for the entire trip. My earlier examination of the odometer readings compared to actual marked miles along interstates showed that the odo reads about 1.9% low. As a consequence I estimate that the 1,695 mile trip measured on the odo was more like 1,727 actual miles thus giving me a mileage reading of 31.75 miles/gallon. I also compared the MPG readings on the Lexus dash display to actual MPG for individual segments between fill-ups to see how accurate the MPG gauge is. In the four tanks of gas that I used, the MPG gauge showed 31.0 MPG compared to an actual adjusted 29.0 MPG on one segment (why it was low I'm not sure). The other three segments showed the actual MPG to be higher than the Lexus display MPG: (1) Lexus 31.8 / actual 33.1; (2) Lexus 29.0 / actual 31.3; and (3) Lexus 33.0 / actual 34.9 MPG. Bottom line: I think the Lexus MPG gauge reads low and that we’re actually getting even better mileage than the gauge indicates.

In August I made a round trip from Virginia up to Canada and tracked my mileage. The trip totaled 1,695 miles (about 70% on interstates) and I used a total of 54.4 gallons of fuel (premium) which means I got 31.16 miles/gallon for the entire trip. My earlier examination of the odometer readings compared to actual marked miles along interstates showed that the odo reads about 1.9% low. As a consequence I estimate that the 1,695 mile trip measured on the odo was more like 1,727 actual miles thus giving me a mileage reading of 31.75 miles/gallon. I also compared the MPG readings on the Lexus dash display to actual MPG for individual segments between fill-ups to see how accurate the MPG gauge is. In the four tanks of gas that I used, the MPG gauge showed 31.0 MPG compared to an actual adjusted 29.0 MPG on one segment (why it was low I'm not sure). The other three segments showed the actual MPG to be higher than the Lexus display MPG: (1) Lexus 31.8 / actual 33.1; (2) Lexus 29.0 / actual 31.3; and (3) Lexus 33.0 / actual 34.9 MPG. Bottom line: I think the Lexus MPG gauge reads low and that we’re actually getting even better mileage than the gauge indicates.

good stuff, thanks for the info

weird how even though it was off, it was not consistent in one direction

good stuff, thanks for the info

weird how even though it was off, it was not consistent in one direction

I reviewed my notes and find that I went through about 30 minutes of congestion south of Harrisburg, PA on the return trip and I suspect that gave me the low MPG reading (29 MPG) on that one leg. Interesting how a few miles of stop and go congestion can effect mileage.

Hi, I am new here as I just bought a 2011 ES350 Truffle Mica, love the colour.

I am in Canada and the reading is 8.2l per 100KM 34.4 mpg imperial gallon 160 fluid ounce. The US gallon reading would be 28.7mpg US. (Smaller gallon 128)

Now for a car with a few hundred miles/KM that is fantastic I think. In Canada it's rated 39MPG Imperial gal.

I have a question though. I have two readings Liter per 100KM and Tank average. I filled up and took a couple road trips a couple hundred KM each. The tank aver age shows 8.2 and the average about 10.5, should these read the same? If I filled up and reset the readings on the Average reading? I believe the Tank average is what it says, and the other reading is "RIGHT NOW" but it does not change much?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and respond.

Wayne

Hi, I am new here as I just bought a 2011 ES350 Truffle Mica, love the colour.

I am in Canada and the reading is 8.2l per 100KM 34.4 mpg imperial gallon 160 fluid ounce. The US gallon reading would be 28.7mpg US. (Smaller gallon 128)

Now for a car with a few hundred miles/KM that is fantastic I think. In Canada it's rated 39MPG Imperial gal.

I have a question though. I have two readings Liter per 100KM and Tank average. I filled up and took a couple road trips a couple hundred KM each. The tank aver age shows 8.2 and the average about 10.5, should these read the same? If I filled up and reset the readings on the Average reading? I believe the Tank average is what it says, and the other reading is "RIGHT NOW" but it does not change much?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and respond.

Wayne

the tank average is for the current tank, and resets every time you fill up

the average is for the entire mileage of the car

• 1 year later...

2009 350 has Very Poor mileage too. Only about 24 mpg & dealer says that's normal. Real POS!!! POOR!!!!

Mileage can vary greatly depending on driving style and traffic conditions.

In the middle of a 2500 mile driving vacation right now and averaging over 28 mpg's overall and 30+ mpg's on the highway. About the same as with my '07 ES350.

• 1 month later...

I recently was experiencing poor fuel economy and was told that the fuel injectors should be cleaned, changed air filter, and adjusted tire pressure. The car made a significant improvement. Since you just purchased it you should perform routine maintenance and have it hooked up do a diagnostic machine. Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

Are you guys all serious? I just purchased my 2010 ES a few weeks ago (not CPO) w/ only 32k miles. No matter what I do i cannot get the thing to give me better than about 21mpg according to the display (not my own calculation).

I checked the service history for the car (thru lexus) and a 30k service was done on the car at the lexus dealership. Any ideas/suggestions on what sorts of things could be causing such low mpg?

• 3 months later...

Unless you guys are doing the actual gallons used to mileage you won't get an accurate reading. The computer readout is not accurate. Plus you should do the calculation over 3-5 tanks of fuel to be accurate.

I did mine on 10 tanks of fuel over the course of several months.