Help. How To Replace Shocks/struts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a 1998 GS300. I want to replace strut Assy, front and rear. Does anyone have step by step directions? I need to know what bolts to pull, etc. Picture, manuals, anything. Thanks.

Seriously? Do you even have a spring compressor? OK, here it goes...Step1) Work hard...Step2) Save money... Step3) Take car to dealer and have struts replaced. If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be attempting this. Are they leaking? If not, let me know if it rides any better after you replace them.

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a 1998 GS300. I want to replace strut Assy, front and rear. Does anyone have step by step directions? I need to know what bolts to pull, etc. Picture, manuals, anything. Thanks.

Seriously? Do you even have a spring compressor? OK, here it goes...Step1) Work hard...Step2) Save money... Step3) Take car to dealer and have struts replaced. If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be attempting this. Are they leaking? If not, let me know if it rides any better after you replace them.

Seriously, That is your answer ? Do tell of your experience please :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a gs400 & I recently did a strut replacement on my car. Install bilstein struts & eibach springs. Wasn't to bad of a job to do. You got 3 strut mount bolts up top to remove. 1 nut & bolt @ the bottom to remove. Remove the 10mm screw that holds the abs sensor & the whole strut assembly should fall out.

I have a gs400 & I recently did a strut replacement on my car. Install bilstein struts & eibach springs. Wasn't to bad of a job to do. You got 3 strut mount bolts up top to remove. 1 nut & bolt @ the bottom to remove. Remove the 10mm screw that holds the abs sensor & the whole strut assembly should fall out.

Don't forget to get a four-wheel alignment afterwards.

• 1 year later...

I just replaced the rear shocks in my 1999 GS400. I've included step by step instructions below.

1. Remove Rear back trunk wall cover to expose Shock mounting bolts
    *in other models you have to remove the back seat to get to the shock mount bolts. This is not the case with this GS. I found this out the hard way. That's why the back seat is removed in the pictures.
    1. Unbolt two rear, silver hook-brackets on each side of back trunk floor
    2. Remove 5 plastic fasteners by popping out with screw driver
    3. Pull out the rear back trunk wall cover
  2. Jack up car and remove rear wheels
  3. Remove break calipers
    1. I use a screw driver to compress break pistons a little in order to remove caliper easily
    2. Remove two 17mm bolts on back side of break caliper mount
    3. Suspend caliper or place on stand in order to prevent stress/kink on the break lines
  4. Remove plastic cover on the forward side of the lower control arm
    1. this is necessary to access the nuts to take off the anti-sway bar, strut, and wheel assembly
    2. There are two screws attaching the plastic cover to the lower control arm
  5. Remove bolt that connects the anti-sway bar to lower control arm
    1. This bolt is the one behind the shock mounting bolt
    2. ensure anti-sway bar is free to move in lower control arm
  6. Remove bolt connecting bottom of strut to lower control arm
  7. Remove large bolt connecting wheel assembly to lower control arm
  8. Remove 3 strut mounting bolts in the trunk
  9. Remove shock assembly from car
    1. slip bottom out towards you and then lower and remove from wheel well
  10. Replace strut in shock assembly (or entire assembly)
    1. Mark with scratch the position of top shock assembly with end of spring coil.
    2. Compress spring with spring compression tool until strut is loose in assembly
    3. Remove top nut connecting strut to assembly by holding strut tip with vise grip pliers
    4. Slide out top of shock assembly taking note of position of inner and outer washers and cap
    5. Slide old strut out of assembly
    6. Place new strut in assembly
    7. Replace inner cap, top shock assembly, washer and nut.
    8. Tighten nut by holding strut tip with vise grip pliers
    9. Align mark with top coil end.
    10. Release spring compression slowly making sure mark on top shock assembly is aligned with top coil end
  11. Replace Strut assembly in reverse order

Pictures to come soon

post-153479-0-92258200-1401133764_thumb.

post-153479-0-46978000-1401133780_thumb.