Ls430 Telescopic Steering Motor On It Ways Out....

helpsnic

Would really appriciate any advice from those of you who might have come across this problem

I understand this is a common issue - my '03 LS430 has the telescopic steering motor that moves the steering wheel toward the driver on ignition and pulls away when the car is switched off.

The motor IS still working, however I am having to gently apply pressure to the wheel whilst using the manual control switch on the side to push it away or pull it out.

I can identify which motor the telescopic one is, but VERY nervous of disassembling to remove so that I can check over the gears and apply lubrication... I don't want to leave it in the current state as I'm pretty sure the motor will burn out before long due to the excessive pressure....

It seems to be linked/connected to the steering column itself where as the tilt motor can be repaired / disassembled without pulling the column apart.

Can any of you offer any advice ??

Many thanks,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Would really appriciate any advice from those of you who might have come across this problem

I understand this is a common issue - my '03 LS430 has the telescopic steering motor that moves the steering wheel toward the driver on ignition and pulls away when the car is switched off.

The motor IS still working, however I am having to gently apply pressure to the wheel whilst using the manual control switch on the side to push it away or pull it out.

I can identify which motor the telescopic one is, but VERY nervous of disassembling to remove so that I can check over the gears and apply lubrication... I don't want to leave it in the current state as I'm pretty sure the motor will burn out before long due to the excessive pressure....

It seems to be linked/connected to the steering column itself where as the tilt motor can be repaired / disassembled without pulling the column apart.

Can any of you offer any advice ??

Many thanks,

Nick

Hi i to have this problem on my 2002 and have taken it have taken it apart to grease and found that there was plenty there already never the less i cleaned and regreased the screw mech but still had the same problem so so can only assume that the motor is tired ( bit like a lazy starter motor) and the only course of action is to replace it as the motor is a sealed unit and you cant do anything to it :cries: regards Roy