Is It Safe Now To Switch To Full Synthetic/blended Motor Oil.

Hello Folks,

I have 2001 (model year 2002) ES300 with approx. 101000 miles. I have been doing oil changes at regular intervals using traditional motor oil( I think I am using 5W-30...though not sure). Now, I am thinking of switching (why ??? Uh.....good question)to either fully synthetic or may be blended oil.

My questions are

1) Is it safe to switch now?

2) Which one is better - Full Synthetic or Blended oil?

3) What brand will you recommend and at what interval?

Thanks a LOT.

I used a blend to 100k and switched to full synthetic. the 1mze engine is prone to sludge so my decision was based on preventing this. I used Castrol oil 0-30 synthetic which I found to be excellent in that it actually did more cleaning....The engine also (probably wishing) actually was quieter and smoother. Switching has been posted a lot on these forums and everybody (majority) agree absolutely no problems...

Thanks. I will do search on "switching".

I used a blend to 100k and switched to full synthetic. the 1mze engine is prone to sludge so my decision was based on preventing this. I used Castrol oil 0-30 synthetic which I found to be excellent in that it actually did more cleaning....The engine also (probably wishing) actually was quieter and smoother. Switching has been posted a lot on these forums and everybody (majority) agree absolutely no problems...

quote]

Hi Lenore,

Just a learning question for my education. What does the designation "1mze" stand for? Is it the model of the engine or something like the liter size?

Thanks!

Paul

ps...don't you wish they made cars as solid and reliable as the old Xerox 914? Maybe a little faster though. LOL

The 1mze engine was the designation for the V-6 used in Toyota Camry's, Lexus ES300, RX300, etc...until 2003

914 surely was the baby that made the office change throughout the world...Dad worked on them, I saw them in some old accounts and Leesburg....Those were the days...

The 1mze engine was the designation for the V-6 used in Toyota Camry's, Lexus ES300, RX300, etc...until 2003

914 surely was the baby that made the office change throughout the world...Dad worked on them, I saw them in some old accounts and Leesburg....Those were the days...

Thanks Lenore for the info.

I remember we continued selling the 914 clear into the late 70's to county clerks because it was the only machine we had that would print the "negative" copies from their old files. What a work horse that was....and the 660!

Will be interested to see how this works out for you. Too often you can develop leaks on a higher mileage motor when changing from dino oil to full synthetic. Please post a followup with your experiences. My ES has 130k and I'd like to go synthetic but don't want to chance it...

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The seals should be pretty sludged up by now so they probably won't leak. - Just Kidding...

In all seriousness, The potential is there for a leak. I would run a treatment of Auto RX through it first. This will will help de-sludge and condition the seals. After the rinse phase (use regular dino for rinse), I would probably run a 50/50 blend. If that works with no leaks, switch over to full syn at the next change.

Thanks a LOT folks for GR8 responses. I did switch to Valvoline full synthetic 5W30 @ NTB. Later realized that changing oil @ NTB was a mistake since they put a CHEAP Pennzoil filter MZ1. I have decided to buy Mobil 1 M1-102 Extended Performance Oil Filter and will use this filter for the next oil change(s).

So far, I have NOT noticed any leak........in fact.........the ride is pretty smooth. Last time, when I switched transmission oil (from conventional) to full synthetic AMSOIL, I had leak under the carriage after couple of days but later the leak stopped automatically. Per auto mechanic, who did drain the transmission oil pan and refill, these leak develop soon after you switch from conventional oil to synthetic after a few days and usually stop after a few days unless there is a major problem.

So, here are a few more questions.........

1) Since they put a really cheap filter when (after how many miles) shall I replace the filter (ONLY)? Is it possible to replace filter only?

2) Is NTB (National Tire & Battery) a good/reliable place for an oil change or shall I switch to independent shop?

3) Do you think it may leak later? So far 2 weeks (I did oil change on Aug 9th) have gone without any leak.

Thanks a LOT.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The seals should be pretty sludged up by now so they probably won't leak. - Just Kidding...

In all seriousness, The potential is there for a leak. I would run a treatment of Auto RX through it first. This will will help de-sludge and condition the seals. After the rinse phase (use regular dino for rinse), I would probably run a 50/50 blend. If that works with no leaks, switch over to full syn at the next change.

Pennzoil filter is okay, certainly better than a fram. Stick to your normal routine which should not exceed 7,500 miles between changes. Remember, the oil might not break down but the by-products are still the same. Every shop is different, even in a chain. Best thing you can do is get an oil change and make it a point to watch what they are doing. So long as they don't strip your oil drain plug it should be okay. Will be watching this thread closely as I just bought Mobil 1 but still haven't had the nerve to make the change...