Ford

nc211

Are you kidding me???? THIS is what union labor buys you?

You're an engineer for Ford. You live in Detroit. You're driving to work in a 3 year old car that has rust bubbles already under the paint from the millions of tons of road salt put on the roads every winter. It's a fact of life up here.

And, not one time, during your 20 hour, full-time, work week, did it not cross your mind that using thin METAL straps to hold the gas tank in place, UNDER the car, exposed to the elements, might not be a great idea?????

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/08/02/gas-tank-defect-forces-ford-to-recall-11-million-pickup-trucks/?test=latestnews

This is the kind of crap that makes USA Automakers look like complete, worthless, dumb, IDIOTS!!

Ford = Found On Roadside Dead.... Or, F'd Over Rebuilt Dodge.

You've earned this one, Ford...

Who knows could have been a vender problem, supplying non galvanized steel straps....That is a major problem with many companies, they cut pennies on every part, and they fail prematurely costing way more than the savings...Not just ford, I saw it in my former industry as well (copy business)....

This kind of stuff is just ridiculous. It's one thing if you have a door seal that is bad, or a switch, or even a floor mat anchor. All bad situations that can have tragic results. But, the Chevy Cruise with it's "cost cutting" approach that sparked a recall because the freaking steering wheel would fall off??? The gas tank dropping out and exploding on the ground of your truck??? Airbags going off for random reasons??? How damn hard is it to get it right?? How hard it is to swallow your pride, go buy a Camry and reverse engineer some of this stuff??

Nc that is why I bought foreign cars for so long before i bought my first domestic....(Dodge Caravan).....Great family vehicle in design...I own a Ford F150 and have had countless problems...but it is good now (knock on wood)...I was in market for Tundra, but wifey loved the extra room of the ford as well as its ride (2005) but I knew darn well the Tundra was probably put together better...It is the typical US company looking for gratification now, and heck with what happens down the road....Funny in the late 80's my company was studying the Japanese business plans and we jumped on board. But unfortunately the bean counters and board members werent going to let it happen...I loved it, it was based on long range business models 10years at least...Profits went up, everything started to click, and than the board got greedy and figured lets penny pinch everything. That is why I left after 32 years, (oh and yes it was perfect timing for me) I personally found that my motto in life is dont do it unless it is done right (no matter what).....I do appreciate Ford not taking the bailout and improving their quality...but maybe they are sliding like my former company did....

Nc that is why I bought foreign cars for so long before i bought my first domestic....(Dodge Caravan).....Great family vehicle in design...I own a Ford F150 and have had countless problems...but it is good now (knock on wood)...I was in market for Tundra, but wifey loved the extra room of the ford as well as its ride (2005) but I knew darn well the Tundra was probably put together better...It is the typical US company looking for gratification now, and heck with what happens down the road....Funny in the late 80's my company was studying the Japanese business plans and we jumped on board. But unfortunately the bean counters and board members werent going to let it happen...I loved it, it was based on long range business models 10years at least...Profits went up, everything started to click, and than the board got greedy and figured lets penny pinch everything. That is why I left after 32 years, (oh and yes it was perfect timing for me) I personally found that my motto in life is dont do it unless it is done right (no matter what).....I do appreciate Ford not taking the bailout and improving their quality...but maybe they are sliding like my former company did....

As I read your post Lenore, something in my pea sized brain thinks that maybe last year or the year before, we discovered that we both had worked for the big "X" over the years. By that I mean Xerox. Am I correct? I worked in sales/marketing during the 1970's and early 1980's.

Woah... :blink: That's BAD!

How much $$$ did Ford really save by using a lower quality metal for that part? Doesn't sound very "built Ford tough" to me, especially on their pickup models which inherently take the most abuse.

As I read your post Lenore, something in my pea sized brain thinks that maybe last year or the year before, we discovered that we both had worked for the big "X" over the years. By that I mean Xerox. Am I correct? I worked in sales/marketing during the 1970's and early 1980's.

Yes, that is correct, worked from 1974-2006....Shameful what happened, but hey lots of great people that I worked with...And Yes attended many, many President club functions....(do to my belief that quality of work creates happy customers)

How much $$$ did Ford really save by using a lower quality metal for that part? Doesn't sound very "built Ford tough" to me, especially on their pickup models which inherently take the most abuse.

Agreed, but unfortunately that is a predominant matra within the US business climate (Large Corporations) Profit first (which is good) Quality somewhere down the line and long term business plans (I am talking more than 1 year) not in the agenda...Kind of like most politicians, talk the talk, but not the walk...

Agreed, but unfortunately that is a predominant matra within the US business climate (Large Corporations) Profit first (which is good) Quality somewhere down the line and long term business plans (I am talking more than 1 year) not in the agenda...Kind of like most politicians, talk the talk, but not the walk...

You're right, this type of thing is happening EVERYWHERE. For example in my state of Rhode Island, one of our cities just went BANKRUPT this week; literally- a CITY, filed for bankruptcy. Who's ever heard of an entire CITY filing for bankruptcy!!??

No one thinks about longevity anymore, it's really a shame.

You are going to see more of that nation wide as communities whom gave away tax payers monies to unsupportable demands discover the end of the tunnel...That Is why Chryler, and General motors got bailouts, because of union demands...

Yes, that is correct, worked from 1974-2006....Shameful what happened, but hey lots of great people that I worked with...And Yes attended many, many President club functions....(do to my belief that quality of work creates happy customers)

I sadly agree...when I look back on how respected and how such an innovator that company was, and now to see what it has become,wow. It puts a sour taste in those Pin'a Colada's by the pool on those Presidents club trips doesn't it. In a way, it makes me empathize for those Ford techs who now have to clean up the mess that the engineers gave them and deal with the angry customers. Somewhat like we had to do with the old Xerox 4000. Great concept, when it worked.

I sadly agree...when I look back on how respected and how such an innovator that company was, and now to see what it has become,wow. It puts a sour taste in those Pin'a Colada's by the pool on those Presidents club trips doesn't it. In a way, it makes me empathize for those Ford techs who now have to clean up the mess that the engineers gave them and deal with the angry customers. Somewhat like we had to do with the old Xerox 4000. Great concept, when it worked.

OH Man, 4000? That was my first baby...I didnt know it was bad, so I was successful, Only the old timers new otherwise....I worked with what I was given and was successful...Took it all in stride...Had 45 lawyer accounts, and 35 of the rest of business. I am proud of my ability to make success out of a boat anchor....