Credit Card Key

tansupplyman

A Credit Card metal key for a Lexus is being sold by Sewell and others; goes in a credit card plastic holder I assume. Question: what is the purpose of this?? Infinity autos will start by inserting the metal key in a special place and then pushing the Start button. This in case you lose the Smart Key and have to fetch the spare "hidden" metal key to get home. Does the Lexus ES350 have this ?; perhaps the credit card key works like an Infinity on another model? Maybe I am phobic about being in the boonies,losing the smart key and all the metal key would do is allow me to get inside the car !! Don't believe Lexus has an automatic start OnStar service!! Anyone ever had to walk home? Am I pole vaulting over rat do?

Are wallet "credit card" keys available for newer models with electronic keys like your 2008 ES350? The wallet key for my 2000 LS400 does not have a transponder, cannot start the car, and is for unlocking the doors. I've carried a Lexus "credit card" key in my wallet for 21+ years and I think I have used one only once -- and that was not an emergency. I've probably carried the wallet keys out of habit ... like wearing a wrist watch which I sometimes no longer do. Features of the wallet keys are that the key number is stamped into the plastic key holder along with instructions for use and phone numbers to call "for key replacement".

I doubt if you will be worse off if you lose your electronic key than if you were to lose a regular transponder key like my car has. But if you can get a wallet key for your ES it might be nice to have if you don't mind carrying it. At least carry your key number in your wallet so you could more easily get a replacement electronic key.

Are wallet "credit card" keys available for newer models with electronic keys like your 2008 ES350? The wallet key for my 2000 LS400 does not have a transponder, cannot start the car, and is for unlocking the doors. I've carried a Lexus "credit card" key in my wallet for 21+ years and I think I have used one only once -- and that was not an emergency. I've probably carried the wallet keys out of habit ... like wearing a wrist watch which I sometimes no longer do. Features of the wallet keys are that the key number is stamped into the plastic key holder along with instructions for use and phone numbers to call "for key replacement".

I doubt if you will be worse off if you lose your electronic key than if you were to lose a regular transponder key like my car has. But if you can get a wallet key for your ES it might be nice to have if you don't mind carrying it. At least carry your key number in your wallet so you could more easily get a replacement electronic key.

how do you get a wallet credit card key?

I check Sewell's website and verified that they sell a credit card key for the ES350: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Keys/ES350-2008/2696.html

If you buy from Sewell be sure to register to get discounted prices.

The Key in the page above is the key referred to in the first post. Futher research did indeed find the SMART CARD KEY that is electronic and a "credit card" to be carried in the wallet(a super product). However, it is extremely expensive. Here is that page for a 2008 ES350. You will have to back-up for other years and models>>> http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Keys/ES350-2008/2689.html

I check Sewell's website and verified that they sell a credit card key for the ES350: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Keys/ES350-2008/2696.html

If you buy from Sewell be sure to register to get discounted prices.

The Key in the page above is the key referred to in the first post. Futher research did indeed find the SMART CARD KEY that is electronic and a "credit card" to be carried in the wallet(a super product). However, it is extremely expensive. Here is that page for a 2008 ES350. You will have to back-up for other years and models>>> http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Keys/ES350-2008/2689.html

totally confused

if the car already has a push button start, doesn't this product serve the same purpose as the regular key that needs to be with you

perhaps you guys are talking about this for cars without push starts, eh?

thanks all

The credit card key is only for unlocking locks such as your doors, trunk, and glove compartment - same as the "mechanical key" that slides out of your electronic key housing. The main difference is that if you lose your electronic key, you will probably also lose your mechanical key since it is stored inside the electronic key housing. The credit card key will be in your wallet so you probably wouldn't lose it and your electronic/mechanical keys at the same time unless you lose your pants!

The mechanical key that is in the electronic key housing is likely supplied in case the battery in your electronic key dies. You can start your ES with an electronic key even if the key's battery is dead by following the directions in your owners manual - but you have to get inside your car to do that.

post-2157-0-47957300-1312120811_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-39018000-1312120832_thumb.jp

The credit card key is only for unlocking locks such as your doors, trunk, and glove compartment - same as the "mechanical key" that slides out of your electronic key housing. The main difference is that if you lose your electronic key, you will probably also lose your mechanical key since it is stored inside the electronic key housing. The credit card key will be in your wallet so you probably wouldn't lose it and your electronic/mechanical keys at the same time unless you lose your pants!

The mechanical key that is in the electronic key housing is likely supplied in case the battery in your electronic key dies. You can start your ES with an electronic key even if the key's battery is dead by following the directions in your owners manual - but you have to get inside your car to do that.

understood, thanks

The smart card key is an option, it replaces your traditional fob style smartkey.

I don't see the point, I mean...I carry keys anyways...and the smart card key is thick, so it would be an issue in my wallet. If I were a woman and had a purse, well the little fob wouldn't take up much room in the bottom of my purse.

Its cool, but not $300 cool.

You are no more likely to loose your smartkey than any other sort of key, so don't worry about it.