Stering Wheel Vibrates

lsrxlex

Hi all,

My steering wheel vibrates at about 30mph and over, and I just have a rotation&balance done, but that didn't solve the problem. The steering wheel just vibrates slightly, about 1/4", clock-wise and counterclock-wise , but it's annoying.

At 180k miles (1999 rx300 awd), what would be the cause? Lower ball joints or lower control arms or sway bar bushings......? (So far, only these parts have been replaced on my car: timing belt+water pump, 2 front rotors, all spark plugs, pcv valve, engine coolant temperature sensor. Other works are just regular maintenance: brake pads, fluid changes, tires, wiper blade refills, air filters, cabin air filters, cleaning of mass air flow sensor and iacv,..... And I'm happy with my car.). I think it's time to replace something, maybe in the front suspension. I'm not sure.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

You need to rule out the tires, did this problem happen after the rotation and balance? Other possibilities could be the Ball joints and A arms, but you could have a warped disk, bad caliper (dragging on one side)...With the car on a rack, is there play in the Ball joints or A arm bushings...?

Oh I forgot the tie rod ends could be loose or worn. Also maybe a bad wheel bearing...A good mechanic should be able to pin point the fault...

• 3 weeks later...

Take the car back to whoever balance the wheels. Ask them to spin the wheels on the balance machine BEFORE they remove the weights. If the tires are still balanced then it's not a balance problem (and they won't have to re-balance them). Have them check wheel run-out (radial and lateral) and tire runout (same). What you are describing is usually (90%) wheel problems (tires, wheels, balance). It can also be worn out suspension bushing and/or worn out shock absorbers.

Take the car back to whoever balance the wheels. Ask them to spin the wheels on the balance machine BEFORE they remove the weights. If the tires are still balanced then it's not a balance problem (and they won't have to re-balance them). Have them check wheel run-out (radial and lateral) and tire runout (same). What you are describing is usually (90%) wheel problems (tires, wheels, balance). It can also be worn out suspension bushing and/or worn out shock absorbers.

Good call sktn77a. Low speed vibrations are generally due to a bad tire(out of round) or a bent wheel. The shop should be able to measure 'road force variation' on the balance machine. A balanced wheel/tire can still vibrate if a defective tire is changing shape when it is loaded on the ground.