Hit In Front, No Start

raj49

I gotta get this out of the lot. 1990 ls400 89k miles. Hit in front so pulley driven fan is bent/broken and the serpentine belt is off until thats fixed.

It starts and runs for about 2 seconds then stalls. It should still run, right? Im sure the battery light will come on since the alternator is not spinning but should still run. I can hear the fuel pump working a second or 2 after the stall.

Any thoughts?

I would look for damage to the sensors and wiring to them on the front of the engine where the damage is, normally if the crank sensor is faulty the engine will crank but not fire up at all but still worth a check

No pics at this time. Will that aid in diagnosis or r u just a look-e-loo?

You got me. I just have this fetish for looking at damaged LS's. <_<

No pics at this time. Will that aid in diagnosis or r u just a look-e-loo?

You got me. I just have this fetish for looking at damaged LS's. <_<

Really so here's mine at the moment, what does it do for you ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSCF0147.jpg

I gotta get this out of the lot. 1990 ls400 89k miles. Hit in front so pulley driven fan is bent/broken and the serpentine belt is off until thats fixed.

It starts and runs for about 2 seconds then stalls. It should still run, right? Im sure the battery light will come on since the alternator is not spinning but should still run. I can hear the fuel pump working a second or 2 after the stall.

Any thoughts?

I agree, it should still run with the serpentine belt removed (I've done this, very briefly - just repositioning the car in the driveway), so there must be something else wrong. Without the alternator charging, of course you'll be limited by the battery on how far you can drive it off the lot. 20 minutes maybe? Also, pump up the front tires because you'll be wishing you had power steering.

While you're working on it, you might want to check if the "fan bracket" bearing was damaged. They seem to wear out anyway around 150-200k, and require a surprising amount of disassembly to replace.