No Warning Signal/sound When Headlights Are Left On By Accident?

I own a 2000 Lexus ES300. One thing I noticed that my vehicle (compared to my previous two cars, VW's) will not give a warning signal or sound when the headlights are left on by accident when leaving the car. Somewhat annoying, especially when you park in well lit areas at night.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Should there be a warning light or sound?

Thanks!

Does your ES have an "Auto" setting on the headlight switch that automatically turns the headlights off after you removed the key and lock the car? That was standard on some models including my 2000 LS400 beginning sometime in the mid-1990's. I don't know about your 2000 ES but the amount of delay on my 00 LS can be adjusted to keep the headlights on for (I think) up to a full minute or maybe even more before they automatically turn off.

The 98-00 GS and LS has a customizable setting to sound a buzzer when the headlights are left on but the default setting of this feature is "OFF" -- probably since the cars have the "Auto" light feature. Again ... I don't know if the 2000 ES has this.

Even if you have to auto setting, the lights are likely still auto-off. Our Prius has no auto-lights and the lights automatically turn off. Every Lexus I have had, 98 LS, 03 ES, 04 LS, 10 ES all shut the lights off automatically even when the selector is in the "ON" position.

Even if you have to auto setting, the lights are likely still auto-off. Our Prius has no auto-lights and the lights automatically turn off. Every Lexus I have had, 98 LS, 03 ES, 04 LS, 10 ES all shut the lights off automatically even when the selector is in the "ON" position.

Take note to your headlight switch. Turn your headlight switch "ON", until the knob hits the end. Now you are positioned on Auto setting, which means that when you shut the engine "OFF" and pull the keys, those headlights will turn "OFF". And when you start the engine, those headlights will resumed "ON". When my wife return from work, I will try to see while engine is shut off,when headlights are left "ON" position (not on AUTO), if there are any warning light or sound indication.