What Brakes To Get For My 1996 Es300?

I'll probably get Centric C-Tek rotors. (They're like the Premium rotors but without the black E-coating finish)

For pads, I'm leaning towards StopTech Street Performance but also considering Hawk HPS and Wagner ThermoQuiet.

Anybody have experience with any of these pads?

I've had mostly lousy experiences with aftermarket brake pads and prefer to stick with OEM Toyota ones. Sewell Lexus is a good place to purchase them- with the forum discount, the pads for my 98 LS cost about the same as aftermarket ones.

I tried Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on my previous 92 LS a couple of times. Maybe I wasn't doing something correctly, but with them installed the brakes always made a squealing noise that I couldn't get to go away.

That, and on two different occasions the ceramic elements of the pad became separated, fell off while driving and caused damage to the rotor from the metal to metal contact. The second time it happened I went back to OEM Toyota pads and had no further problems.

Why not try having your rotors resurfaced before replacing them? Unless they are very worn, that should be enough and would be much less expensive than replacement.

I've had mostly lousy experiences with aftermarket brake pads and prefer to stick with OEM Toyota ones. Sewell Lexus is a good place to purchase them- with the forum discount, the pads for my 98 LS cost about the same as aftermarket ones.

I tried Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on my previous 92 LS a couple of times. Maybe I wasn't doing something correctly, but with them installed the brakes always made a squealing noise that I couldn't get to go away.

That, and on two different occasions the ceramic elements of the pad became separated, fell off while driving and caused damage to the rotor from the metal to metal contact. The second time it happened I went back to OEM Toyota pads and had no further problems.

Why not try having your rotors resurfaced before replacing them? Unless they are very worn, that should be enough and would be much less expensive than replacement.

Good call, TA. Nothing works better than OEM brake pads on these cars. Squeeling brakes would drive me up a wall!