Transmission Replacment

mikeymike41

I recently was given a 2000 rx300 that had tranny problems about $ months ago , i changed the tranny oil and filter and have been driving it for 2 months now. It finally happend the tranny finnally gave. i am gonna purchace a new rebuilt trans from lexus and install myself. according to the mitchell manuall for the AWD model u must remove engine and tranny as one, can i get around this and only remove the tranny without taking out engine, as u can with the fwd model. [lease any help would be apriciated,

Yes you can, On club lexus their is an individual that has done that....search for "something went bump" on the RX300 forum..personally I would not get one from Lexus, I would go to an independent.

here it is:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/320390-something-went-bump.html

Yes you can, On club lexus their is an individual that has done that....search for "something went bump" on the RX300 forum..personally I would not get one from Lexus, I would go to an independent.

here it is:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/320390-something-went-bump.html

why not get a rebuilt from lexus and instead go to an indipendant garage, lexus offers 1 year warrantee and dcomes with a torque converter , does the ind shops use better parts, thanks for your input....mike

here it is:

why not get a rebuilt from lexus and instead go to an indipendant garage, lexus offers 1 year warrantee and dcomes with a torque converter , does the ind shops use better parts, thanks for your input....mike

Most lexus dealers charge TWO prices. Timing belt and water pump, Lexus $1100-1300, third party, $600-700. Lexus will often find additional "problems", sometimes real sometimes not, and then refuse to finish the job, "dealer liability", unless you cough up the dough to fix the other problems.

Trust me the lexus dealerships have nothing on the rebuilts...other than a high price. I would do some research and find an independent that works on these transmissions and have it rebuilt...They also will stand behind their warranty...Note: does lexus stand behind that warranty if you install it..?

Trust me the lexus dealerships have nothing on the rebuilts...other than a high price. I would do some research and find an independent that works on these transmissions and have it rebuilt...They also will stand behind their warranty...Note: does lexus stand behind that warranty if you install it..?

they will only warranty if installed by lic mechanic, fortunatley i am getting an invoice mad eup for th einstall , just in case something goes wrong down th eroad, i am in ottawa canada , and most places all go to the same big guy for there trany reman, so does lexus , but they offer the warranty opposed to the raman company .

thanks again for your input , will keep u posted , gonna pull it out first and see what th eprob is , maybe get this one rebuilt rather than replace ?

I recently was given a 2000 rx300 that had tranny problems about $ months ago , i changed the tranny oil and filter and have been driving it for 2 months now. It finally happend the tranny finnally gave. i am gonna purchace a new rebuilt trans from lexus and install myself. according to the mitchell manuall for the AWD model u must remove engine and tranny as one, can i get around this and only remove the tranny without taking out engine, as u can with the fwd model. [lease any help would be apriciated,

Yes you can remove the trans alone if you access to a car hoist lift. I use what is called an engine support bar. The way it works is it rests on the strut tower and you chain it to the engine(be careful not to contact the windshield). This way, when you remove the subframe, the drivetrain will be suspended by the bar and chain. You will need a trans jack to lower the transaxle after you unbolt it from the engine. Transfer the the transfer case to the replacement transaxle(don't forget the splined shaft inside connecting transaxle to transfer case). Replace the rear main oil seal at the same time. Always use genuine Lexus parts. If you are looking for advice on how to do this, you may be in over your head. I've seen guys really struggle the first few times they try this, and that's with all the equipment necessary. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. BTW, if someone gave you this car, you're still way ahead of the game when you pay your dealer to replace it.

Lexus stands behind their parts one year/unlimited mileage, labor included if it is performed at a Lexus dealer. Our dealership stands behind our work parts and labor for as long as you own the car, as long as the work was performed in our shop. Plus, if you're getting a repair, we(Lexus dealers) supply you with a new Lexus loaner car in the meantime. I swear, I think the only people who are afraid to take their car to a Lexus dealer have never been to a Lexus dealer. It's all part of the ownership experience. There's a reason why we're the best!

Yes you can remove the trans alone if you access to a car hoist lift. I use what is called an engine support bar. The way it works is it rests on the strut tower and you chain it to the engine(be careful not to contact the windshield). This way, when you remove the subframe, the drivetrain will be suspended by the bar and chain. You will need a trans jack to lower the transaxle after you unbolt it from the engine. Transfer the the transfer case to the replacement transaxle(don't forget the splined shaft inside connecting transaxle to transfer case). Replace the rear main oil seal at the same time. Always use genuine Lexus parts. If you are looking for advice on how to do this, you may be in over your head. I've seen guys really struggle the first few times they try this, and that's with all the equipment necessary. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. BTW, if someone gave you this car, you're still way ahead of the game when you pay your dealer to replace it.

thanks for the advice i do have a shop , its an autobody shop but we have hoist's also , and i do have a support bar to go across strut towers,sp all this makes me happy to know now, as far as the rear main seal goes , will get machanic friend to do it once all parts are out, new trans on order will be here in 2 days with warranty from lexus for 1 year , i know i got it for free but in my line of work , i hate paying someobne else to do what i can , even if it takes me a lil onger , i did 4 years mechanics so im sure ill be fine , thanks again ......will keep all posted .....

so i did it < got it out in less than & hrs by myself, dropped it from underneath without removing engine, dropped th ecraddle , then trans mission onto jack, and raised hoist leaving it on th eground, had no help so i had to iprovise, it works and iv done it many times when doing a tranny alone.

so i did it < got it out in less than & hrs by myself, dropped it from underneath without removing engine, dropped th ecraddle , then trans mission onto jack, and raised hoist leaving it on th eground, had no help so i had to iprovise, it works and iv done it many times when doing a tranny alone.

i had oredred a used toyota highlander tranny , fits except mount , shifter plug and cooing lies must be swaped, opeden th eused tranny fist, was no good .

new rebuid from lexus on its way 2650.00 can dollars . prettty good deal , keep yall posted on how it goes in, wanted to know if should use synthetic mercon or stick with the toyota *BLEEP*.....thankspost-131522-0-53225900-1311174418_thumb.post-131522-0-10295300-1311174365_thumb.post-131522-0-53004100-1311174377_thumb.post-131522-0-93417400-1311174400_thumb.post-131522-0-53225900-1311174418_thumb.

If you can get it use Mobil 1 full synthetic tranny fluid....works great, however you may void any warranty given with the transmission.