Chevy Tahoe

nc211

Anyone have any real world, personal, experiences with a 07+ Tahoe? 4Runner is getting a bit tight for the family, and thinking about the Tahoe as its replacement. Plus, 4Runner has 95k miles now, facing the timing belt an the sealed transmission fluid change...$1,700 all in. Tough to spend it, when interest rates are where they're at. Always lived this new design of Tahoe.

other than the typical government motors they are pretty sound, expensive to fill and expensive when the do break though. My old boss had a fully loaded model he bought new when they redesigned them last time. Trans just went out at 32,000 miles. Warranty picked it up, but had they not, would have set him back about $3,400 P&L. All cars and brands have their problems though. My granddad has a 97 Suburban with 285k on it, and its essentially the same as a tahoe.

Family member has 07 Suburban (essentially same as Tahoe) which gets used for local family chores. Since the driving they do is mostly urban/suburban, mileage is 12-13mpg consistently. No significant problems at 80K mileage. I've drove it one weekend and found it to be roomy/useful and a bit dull.

Thanks fellas, appreciate the input! We won't be replacing the 4runner any time soon. our first experience yesterday with the prospect of buying any car in general, turned us off completely with the process, especially given the nightmare I went through last year to replace my GS with my VW. Life's just too short to put up with this crap.

Going to do the service on the car, and buy either a rack via the hitch, or a roof rack, for some additional packing space of kid gear for our drives to NC.

I just don't think I've got it in me to deal with this right now, without ending up with a new car, and a court date for assault charges. Really really really really hate these car salesman here in ChiTcago.

Thanks fellas, appreciate the input! We won't be replacing the 4runner any time soon. our first experience yesterday with the prospect of buying any car in general, turned us off completely with the process, especially given the nightmare I went through last year to replace my GS with my VW. Life's just too short to put up with this crap.

Going to do the service on the car, and buy either a rack via the hitch, or a roof rack, for some additional packing space of kid gear for our drives to NC.

I just don't think I've got it in me to deal with this right now, without ending up with a new car, and a court date for assault charges. Really really really really hate these car salesman here in ChiTcago.

Keep the 4runner, especially with a V8, you wont find anything in its class that does it better!

My sentiments exactly. I actually think it's a company policy and philosophy they teach there! Remember when I went to the dealership to look at Tahoe's a couple years ago before I got the ML? Same thing, although your experience definately trumps mine. To disrespect you, and your wife, and I'll bet he never even knew anything of what he just did! I'll bet he would act all shocked and bewildered at the fact that you felt disrespected and insulted. Amazing. censored.gif

And I'm with Josh then. Keep the Toyota. Nobody should have to deal with poor treatment like that over a car!

Thanks guys! We just can't seem to walk away from the 4runner very easily. At 95k miles, it's still just as buttery smooth and quiet as you'd expect a car with 1/4 the mileage to be. The key really is that 4.7 V8. It's just an effortless matchup, barely ever needing to rev past 2,500 rpms, I can see why they last forever. I take a lot of comfort in knowing much of the mechanicals in the V8 setup are the same in the Land Cruisers, which seem to command a ridiculous price premium. I'm still shocked at how the 4runner has held it's value. We bought it used in 07 with 53k miles. It's an 05, nothing special, just the SR5 model with sunroof and tow package. Paid around $18.5k for it then. 4 years and 40k miles later, KBB trade-in value in "good" condition is still north of $14k. Only vehicle I've ever seen to give me any real equity value. Closest one I've owned like that was a 99 Outback, bought in KS, sold in Bama 2 years later for maybe $1,800 off from sticker in 99'. Think Bama played a big part in that though, as it was not a popular car in the south. If you wanted one, you were paying for it.

I really love this new Tahoe design though. But...not enough to go through this hassle. Not when the motivation behind it was more of a "want" than a "need". Want to enjoy it, shouldn't need a 6 pack and gun to do it though!

Thanks guys! We just can't seem to walk away from the 4runner very easily. At 95k miles, it's still just as buttery smooth and quiet as you'd expect a car with 1/4 the mileage to be. The key really is that 4.7 V8. It's just an effortless matchup, barely ever needing to rev past 2,500 rpms, I can see why they last forever. I take a lot of comfort in knowing much of the mechanicals in the V8 setup are the same in the Land Cruisers, which seem to command a ridiculous price premium. I'm still shocked at how the 4runner has held it's value. We bought it used in 07 with 53k miles. It's an 05, nothing special, just the SR5 model with sunroof and tow package. Paid around $18.5k for it then. 4 years and 40k miles later, KBB trade-in value in "good" condition is still north of $14k. Only vehicle I've ever seen to give me any real equity value. Closest one I've owned like that was a 99 Outback, bought in KS, sold in Bama 2 years later for maybe $1,800 off from sticker in 99'. Think Bama played a big part in that though, as it was not a popular car in the south. If you wanted one, you were paying for it.

I really love this new Tahoe design though. But...not enough to go through this hassle. Not when the motivation behind it was more of a "want" than a "need". Want to enjoy it, shouldn't need a 6 pack and gun to do it though!