Rx300 Engine Rebuilt

Rx300-2002

Fellow Rx300 owners:

Trouble alert - it started as a check engine light with cylinder #2 misfiring on my 2002 Rx300. Took it to a mechanic that I have been using and he told me that the piston seal is burnt and the top half of the engine needs to be taken out to get rebuilt. The cost is US$2k. It was believed that the culprit was that I have been using octane 87 gas instead of 91. I have a little over 110k miles on my '02 Rx300

Do you folks have any experience on the need to rebuild? Do you always use octane 91 gasoline? Does it sound like a reasonable job?

Best regards,

Vic

Fellow Rx300 owners:

Trouble alert - it started as a check engine light with cylinder #2 misfiring on my 2002 Rx300. Took it to a mechanic that I have been using and he told me that the piston seal is burnt and the top half of the engine needs to be taken out to get rebuilt. The cost is US$2k. It was believed that the culprit was that I have been using octane 87 gas instead of 91. I have a little over 110k miles on my '02 Rx300

Do you folks have any experience on the need to rebuild? Do you always use octane 91 gasoline? Does it sound like a reasonable job?

Best regards,

Vic

I would first replace the fuel injector, spark plug, and ignition coil just for that cylinder as an inexpensive "trial".

I would probably get a second opinion. Good luck!

Note:

I have a 2001 RX300 that I purchased as a one owner who had been using regular gasoline. I continued using 87 octane with no problem. The plugs, coils, and timing belt were replaced at 99k miles. The car now has 135k miles and runs beautifully.

Thanks jaswood - already replaced the all 6 spark plugs and the coil of the cylinder that's been misfiring. Still no go.

Then the mechanic went to do compression test on the engine and made the "head rebuild" recommendation. I'll ask about the fuel injector but my guess is that the culprit isn't there.

Thanks again!

Fellow Rx300 owners:

Best regards,

Vic

I would first replace the fuel injector, spark plug, and ignition coil just for that cylinder as an inexpensive "trial".

Fellow Rx300 owners:

Best regards,

Vic

Since about the turn of the century EFI has been used to suppress knock/ping, detonation, on high compression engine when fueled with regular vs preminum. The engine ECU simply enriches the mixture slightly in MAF/IAT control mode (not idle or simple cruise) is even the slightest level of knock/ping is detected.

• 4 years later...