Driving At 80 Mph The Rpm Are On 5000

VasentaK

Hello people

I have a Lexus RX 300 17.000 milles

My question: when im driving at 80 MPH the RPM are on 5000 !!!

It's normal????

Thanks for you time.

Nicolas.

jaswood is speculating that your transmission (gear box) is failing. He said that this is common on a 1999 and 2000 RX300.

If jaswood is right, whether or not you can repair your transmission yourself depends on your mechanical skills.

Ok thankyou.

In some page i read that my problem can be the air mass sensor... but i dont thinkso...

It's like the O/D is disabled

when engines is cold, in de morning, the 4-speed work on time....

That your transmission works OK some of the time is a good sign. The problem may be as simple as a bad transmission solenoid or switch. My suggestion is to take your RX to either a Lexus dealer or to a mechanic who specializes in Lexus for diagnosis. I recommend that you do NOT take your RX to one of the chain transmission repair shops like AAMCO!

Regarding RPMs, my tach shows about 3,000 rpm at 80mph. When I release the overdrive button, the tach goes to 4,100 rpm. So your 5,000 rpm suggests something closer to 2nd gear, which is obviously a bad situation. As suggested by 1990LS400, I'd get it checked out quickly in hopes that there is a simple fix.

Years ago, I had a Chevy that had transmission issues. I called several transmission shops, explained the symptoms, and all three diagnosed it over the phone as a specific solenoid, which was then repaired from under the car for about $150. While I agree that you should look for a Lexus-knowledgeable repair shop, you might make a few calls to various shops and see what they say. If they all suggest that it is a specific solenoid or something similar fix, there MAY be hope for getting it fixed cheaply.

You can check the functionality, stall speed, of the torque converter by hard braking when in drive and depressing the accelerator until the engine RPM will not rise further. "stall speed" should not be more than 2000 RPM. This activity will serious HEAT the transaxle and ATF if used for more than a few seconds or repetively without a cool down period.

If the stall speed checks out, <2000 RPM, then you have a slipping clutch.

Ok thanks guys.

Yesterday y decided tu visited a mechanic and say me that the problem is the 2 knock sensor ...........

$243.99 each sensor plus labor !!!!!!!!!

Ok thanks guys.

Yesterday y decided tu visited a mechanic and say me that the problem is the 2 knock sensor ...........

For reference, I'm seeing Autozone in Texas charging under $150 for ecah sensor, and my local Lexus dealer wants around $190. So there might be some cost reduction options available, but use your own judgement. I haven't had to replace these, so not sure how much actual work is involved.

Glad to hear it's not the tranny ...

Ok thanks guys.

Knock sensor....maybe so, maybe NOT..!!

Engine might be actually knocking/pinging/lugging.

Try a FULL tank of preminum fuel and see if things improve even slightly.

Ok thankyou.

In some page i read that my problem can be the air mass sensor... but i dont thinkso...

It's like the O/D is disabled

when engines is cold, in de morning, the 4-speed work on time....

Once the engine has fully warmed up in the morning, coolant rises to ~100C, the engine is more likely to knock/ping.