1995 Ls400 Alternator Pigtail

DIY31

The plug or (pigtail) that connects into the alternator was broken while I was taking out my power steering pump. Has anybody had to replace this plug? If so where did you find it and do you know the part number? The plastic surrounding the three plug has broken away and I’m afraid this will cause problems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't think you could buy just the plug as it would come as part of the complete wiring loom, the option would seem to be to find a breaker locally and cut off the plug then carefully join it into the existing loom, all connections should be soldered,well insulated and shrink sleeving fitted,then taped as per the original loom.

Obviously make sure the battery is disconnected when working on this.

I don't think you could buy just the plug as it would come as part of the complete wiring loom, the option would seem to be to find a breaker locally and cut off the plug then carefully join it into the existing loom, all connections should be soldered,well insulated and shrink sleeving fitted,then taped as per the original loom.

Obviously make sure the battery is disconnected when working on this.

Thank you. I was thinking that would work but I wanted to double check.

Well another option would be to crimp on female spade lugs of the proper size and then individually plug them into the corresponding terminal in the alternator. The heavy current is coming from the output stud of the alternator anyway. These are more of the control lines and much less current. Then maybe flood the area with some RTV to glue it together. It’s a band aid but it’s not like you have to unplug this connector often. Since you go by DIY31 this seems suited to you.