Rx330 Trailer Wiring Harness

scubawin

I've been looking for the same thing.

Here's what I've found so far.

A guy on the edmunds rx330 townhall discussion list has called Curt Manufacturing -- They make a trailer hitch that will fit the RX330. However, they aren't making the wiring harness yet. I guess its in design right now but they don't know how long its going to take.

Here's the relevant section of his post:

The Curt hitch, part #12530, is available from Drophitch.com for $111.98 and is the best price I've seen yet, courtesy of Cotmc. I spoke to someone from Curt Manufacturing and was told that they are currently trying to put a harness together for the RX330. Their number is (877)287-8634. Maybe you can get more up to date info or get on their notification list.

He went ahead and bought the Lexus hitch since it includes the hitch and integrated wiring harness. -- The wiring harness for the Lexus hitch runs through the tube to a recepticle mounted on the hitch. He said it was around $265 from his dealer. I've asked for a part number from mine and they told me PT22848035.

I've also asked for pictures of the hitch when he picks it up which should be in the next few days.

I'm going to hold out until I see what the Lexus hitch looks like. I've already found the wiring harness connector under the cargo bins in the back. Its under the right side cargo bin of my AWD RX330. I think I removed about 4-6 plastic plugs to pull the bin out.

I had the same problem, as Lexus didn't have a receiver available when I bought mine.

I found out that Lexus had a wiring harness available part no.08942-48870-BB, sells for about $48, but it's the one that fits the special socket, and includes the trailer socket and a mounting bracket.

Until I made a fuss, the dealer told me you could not buy the harness, then they admitted it could be speciel ordered.

Wow!

Thanks for the info. A guy on the townhall board bought the lexus hitch, and after he installed it discovered it was only rated for 2000lbs!

Why Lexus makes a hitch that is 1500 lbs short of the limit of their vehicle is beyond me!

I'll be at the dealer in the next few weeks and I'll be sure to ask about this part.

You don't happen to have any pictures of your install do you?

• 1 month later...

I finally broke down and called my dealer and they had the harness in stock, so I went ahead and got it. I have a 2004 AWD and found the connector on the driver's side underneath the side storage bin. trs23 from reading your post I was interpreting right side as passenger side so I thought I would write in case anyone else was looking at it like I was and save them some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Once you found the connector how did you get the wiring to the underside of the RX330?

Thanks

Ron

I finally broke down and called my dealer and they had the harness in stock, so I went ahead and got it.  I have a 2004 AWD and found the connector on the driver's side underneath the side storage bin.  trs23 from reading your post I was interpreting right side as passenger side so I thought I would write in case anyone else was looking at it like I was and save them some time.

Hi

To install the wiring harness I crawled underneath the back of the vehicle on the driver's side and found a rubber plug/boot (about 2" diameter) and removed it. Then I got into the rear cargo area and started removing those plastic storage bins in the back. They come out fairly easy by pulling the plastic push pins out. The only thing is they overlap and you'll end up taking out more of them than you would think is necessary. Also the small bin on the driver's side has to come out since the plug in is right underneath it. At first I thought I was going to have to remove the hinged cover to get this out but if you twist the bin just right it will come out. Good luck

To install the wiring harness I crawled underneath the back of the vehicle on the driver's side and found a rubber plug/boot (about 2" diameter) and removed it. Then I got into the rear cargo area and started removing those plastic storage bins in the back. They come out fairly easy by pulling the plastic push pins out. The only thing is they overlap and you'll end up taking out more of them than you would think is necessary. Also the small bin on the driver's side has to come out since the plug in is right underneath it. At first I thought I was going to have to remove the hinged cover to get this out but if you twist the bin just right it will come out. Good luck

scubawin,

Thanks, I guess I'll try it next week.

May I ask if you recall where in the back you found the plug? Is it directly under the driver side rear storage compartment? Any clues in relation to a "landmark" (i.e. like the rear axel or spare tire) would be appreciated.

BTW does scubawin have any relationship to scuba diving (just got back from Sharm El Shiekh)?

Thanks

Ron

The rubber plug that you run the wiring harness up through to get inside the car is probably about a couple of feet from the rear of the vehicle and maybe a foot from the side. You'll spot it pretty quick if you lay down under the vehicle and start looking in the general area I described. The electrical plug on the inside that you have to connect to is located under that driver's side, small cargo bin towards the front of it, I think it was located right on the wheel well towards the top of it. You can get a pretty good idea if you get the Lexus wiring harness, it has a replacement rubber boot that the wiring harness runs through and you won't have much extra wire to reach the plug.

The scubawin does refer to scuba diving, most of it spent in cold water quarries helping a friend with students. Then I went and ruined myself by diving in Cozumel and Grand Caymen, now I don't get nearly as excited diving cold water anymore. Got a friend living in Eqpyt and he is always talking about diving in the Red Sea, is that where Sharm El Shiekh is located?

The rubber plug that you run the wiring harness up through to get inside the car is probably about a couple of feet from the rear of the vehicle and maybe a foot from the side. You'll spot it pretty quick if you lay down under the vehicle and start looking in the general area I described. The electrical plug on the inside that you have to connect to is located under that driver's side, small cargo bin towards the front of it, I think it was located right on the wheel well towards the top of it. You can get a pretty good idea if you get the Lexus wiring harness, it has a replacement rubber boot that the wiring harness runs through and you won't have much extra wire to reach the plug.

The scubawin does refer to scuba diving, most of it spent in cold water quarries helping a friend with students. Then I went and ruined myself by diving in Cozumel and Grand Caymen, now I don't get nearly as excited diving cold water anymore. Got a friend living in Eqpyt and he is always talking about diving in the Red Sea, is that where Sharm El Shiekh is located?

Hi

Thanks again, I am going to drop by the dealer and see if they can show me how to pop out the little push in trim "plugs" to get the rear containers out.. If I mess up the trim on the new Lexus my wife will kill me. I tried to pull one out and it seemed I had a chande of breaking it off. Better to be safe 

From your description sounds like it will be easy to run the wiring once I get the trim removed.

BTW Yes Sharm is in Egypt. But if it makes you feel better the water was around 70. I had to wear a 2 piece 7mm plus a hood (for 3 x 1 hour dives per day). I was in Bonaire (you think Cozumel spoiled you) and was diving in the mid-80 last Dec. No wetsuit at all. That is diving. I may be back in Sharm El Sheikh (actually I will likely go shore diving to Dahab) in August. The water will be in the mid to upper 80s.

Thanks again

Ron

The way I removed the trim plugs was take a small screwdriver and pry to get them started out and then grab on to them with my fingers and pull out. I was a little nervous on the first one but by the time I got around to the third or fourth one I was wasting no time getting them out.

70 degree water sounds great to me as long as the viz is decent. Dove in 38 degree water before and that's no fun. Cozumel was good but Grand Cayman is where I got spoiled. Most of my diving is in quarries upper 40's to mid 50's with 10' of viz on a good day hauling students around, so it doesn't take much for me to get excited.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 04 RX330 and have purchased the Lexus trailer wiring harness. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to route the wiring and are there any exisiting holes that the pre-installed plastic clip tabs can use or do I need to drill some holes someplace.

After you make your electrical connection inside the vehicle you'll see that you don't have much extra wiring to get to the rear of the vehicle. Since I bought an aftermarket hitch I might not have the same setup as you. I had to run the wiring along the outside of the hitch and zip tie it in place. I didn't really want to drill any holes in the hitch or my vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone looking for this part, I just purchased the wiring harness for $45 from

Darrel Diller

Sewell Lexus of Dallas

dba www.lexus-parts.com

6421 Lemmon Avenue

Dallas, TX 75209

(214) 353-2826

(214) 350-5398 Fax

ddiller@sewell.com

They had 3 in stock today. Plan to install myself thanks to the great information here. I installed the Curt rounded hitch on our '04 RX330 for about $125, and it looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

OK sorry to bother everyone with my stupidity ... I plan on getting the Curt hitch ... if I have the towing pkg already on the RX 330, I will STILL need the what's listed as "Universal Circuit Protected/Modulite" ... I'm assuming this is the wiring harness? Tell me if I'm wrong please. Thanks again.

I will most likely hire someone to put the hitch on.

Here's the site where I'm finding this -- http://www.hitchesonline.com/lexus_cl34_rx_330_04.htm

OK sorry to bother everyone with my stupidity ... I plan on getting the Curt hitch ... if I have the towing pkg already on the RX 330, I will STILL need the what's listed as "Universal Circuit Protected/Modulite" ... I'm assuming this is the wiring harness? Tell me if I'm wrong please. Thanks again.

Here's the site where I'm finding this -- http://www.hitchesonline.com/lexus_cl34_rx_330_04.htm

You'll just need the HITCH plus the lexus wiring harness.

That site doesn't sell the wiring harness so they sell you a 'universal' one that will work on any vehicle. It probably requires figuring out and cutting the wires to your brake lights to wire in. NO THANKS!

The lexus wiring harness ~ $30 or so just plugs into the connector in your cargo area.

The RX330 forum of clublexus.com has detailed pictures on the installation process.

You do NOT want the Modulite powered wiring harness. You need the Lexus wiring harness part # 08942-48870-BB. It plugs into the receptacle located on the rear wheel well on the river's side and VOILA, you've got trailer lights.

You can order this part from Lexus or Toyota. B)

You do NOT want the Modulite powered wiring harness. You need the Lexus wiring harness part # 08942-48870-BB. It plugs into the receptacle located on the rear wheel well on the river's side and VOILA, you've got trailer lights.

You can order this part from Lexus or Toyota. B)

How does the plug mount. The backet has two holes but I don;'t see anything on the body that it would mount too

Thanks

ron

• 2 weeks later...

Ron --

You will pop out the rubber gasket, connect the plug on the driver's side rear wheel well (the receptable is mounted on the wheel well with a little plastic clip), then run the cord out the hole. The cord has its own rubber doughnut to seal up the hole.

Right now I have mine twist-tied to the hitch and wedged under the spare tire. However I plan to do a more permanent mount by drilling a hole in the hitch and running the wiring inside the tube then fabricating some kind of clip at the rear of the hitch.

Andy

Does your 330 have the Tow Package?

If so, you do NOT need to spend this kind of money, just have an aftermarket hitch installed (the Curt hitch is nice) and order the wiring harness from Lexus/Toyota for about $40. I assume the $265 quote was for the wiring harness plus the labor to install it what a rip-off. You can do this yourself in 15-30 minutes or have the hitch installer take care of it while they are mounting your hitch.

I spent a total of $160 for the hitch & harness.

• 5 months later...
I know there was a post awhile back about this but I never heard from anyone that had found a trailer wiring harness online.  As a last resort I can go back to the dealer but would rather ($$$$) find one online and put it on myself.

Try etrailer.com

OK sorry to bother everyone with my stupidity ... I plan on getting the Curt hitch ... if I have the towing pkg already on the RX 330, I will STILL need the what's listed as "Universal Circuit Protected/Modulite" ... I'm assuming this is the wiring harness?  Tell me if I'm wrong please.  Thanks again.

Does anyone know If I can still use a hich if I have the rear waag protection bar installed?