Bumpy Ride

I recently purchased a 2007 Lexus ES350, when I test drove it it felt fine but driving it around now I notice every small bump in the road, my corolla felt better then this and I do not think it is normal. I got all new tired hoping it would help the issue and it is exactly the same. Is there some part, shock absorbers or something that would make the ride not as smooth as it should be? I have driven my grandmas Lexus and it felt much smoother then this so I know I am not just crazy.

What are your tire pressures? For the smoothest ride, keep your tires near the minimum pressure shown on the sticker on the drivers door jam. Tire pressures should be adjusted when the tires are "cold". Since tire pressure increases/decreases about 1 psi for each 10 degrees of ambient temperature change, the tire pressure should be set when the ambient temperature is at its lowest ... e.g. in the morning before a car is driven.

Of course, your harsh ride could be caused by something else. Did a previous owner change the shock absorbers and/or springs for non-OEM?

I would doubt they did as it was a lease return. I will check the tire pressure but I just got new tires so I would guess they would put it on the correct pressure right?

I would doubt they did as it was a lease return. I will check the tire pressure but I just got new tires so I would guess they would put it on the correct pressure right?

Amazingly, some people modify leased vehicles with aftermarket parts. Many remove the aftermarket parts and reinstall the OEM ones but some don't bother. Not many people modify suspensions on the ES but Lexus forums are filled with mostly younger people who do.

From my experience, "tire monkeys" rarely bother to put the correct amount of pressure in tires -- even at Lexus dealers. I rarely had very close to the correct amount of air put in a tire - typically the pressure is too high by at least 5 psi but I've had tires over-inflated by well over 10 psi. Tire pressure makes a big difference in ride quality. I can tell when my tires are too low or high by a couple of psi and even when one tire is lower than others ... but I'm a bit obsessive. And I carry digital tire gauge in the car and check the tires at least every two weeks or more often when there are significant day to day temperature changes. I even carry an electric air pump in the trunk and use it fairly often when driving a few hundred miles north in the winter where it can be cold enough that I need to add pressure to the tires.

Be sure to check the lug nut torque after driving your new tires 100 miles or so. Whoever sold you the tires should have told you this and/or asked you to bring your car back in to have the lug nuts re-torqued. The lug nuts on most Toyota vehicles should be torqued to 76 ft. lbs. Unless I witness wheels being reinstalled on my car, I check the lug nut torque as soon as I get home since improperly torqued lug nuts can cause brake disk warping. I once had a Lexus dealer employee torque lug nuts to over 125 ft. lbs. and I had to use a "breaker bar" to loosen the lug nuts so I could torque them properly.

Yeah check the tire pressure, like Jim said it makes a HUGE difference in the ride quality. Also, you said you replaced the tires, what are the brand and model of the tires you bought? The type of tire makes a huge difference too...

Thanks for the advice, they did suggest I come back in to get some other stuff done probably the items you mentioned above and when i do that I will ask them about changing the tire pressure I do not know how to do this myself. I got Yokohama tires I belive YK520 I wanted to get the Michilen Primacy but they said they did not have the correct speed rating for my car, I can still return them though if you have a better suggestion.

But it is strange because the car came with Michlin energy that were essentially cracked bald and after replacing I saw almost no difference in the ride quality from the new ones vs. the old ones...

If adjusting tire pressure does not work I will ask a dealer to check the car out and see if it has OEM parts or can identify why else it might be so bumpy.

The tire speed rating you want for your car is "H" (130 mph) but the tire shop may have insisted on installing "V" rated (149 mph) tires due to your cars 137 mph electronically limited top speed. "H" rated tires often give a softer ride and usually last longer than "V" tires. I have H-rated Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires from Costco on my 149 mph LS400 and I certainly am never going to go that fast ... maybe 75 mph with the recent increase in Kansas speed limits.

I strongly suggest than you buy a digital tire gauge and a cheap electric air pump made for airing up tires so you can check your tires when they are cold. Advance Auto would be a good place to look and it shouldn't cost you more than $30-$50 for both. It's handy to keep an air pump in the trunk and some will fit inside a pare tire.

I would take the Yokos back and get the Primacys. The only tire I'd put on the car.

Its very easy, simply go buy a digital pressure gauge from any auto parts store, remove the valve step cap, and follow the instructions that come with the gauge.

I bet your tires are 10-15lbs over inflated. They should be 30PSI.

• 2 weeks later...

I would take the Yokos back and get the Primacys. The only tire I'd put on the car.

Its very easy, simply go buy a digital pressure gauge from any auto parts store, remove the valve step cap, and follow the instructions that come with the gauge.

I bet your tires are 10-15lbs over inflated. They should be 30PSI.

agree with the consensus here that tire pressure is the culprit..there has been a lot of talk here regarding tire pressure..it makes a huge difference in ride and handling..I was disappointed in the ride and handling when I first got my car, and increasing the tire pressure showed dramatic difference

did you try 30psi??

• 2 months later...

Please do not put Yoko's on your Lexus ES350. I just ran thru a set with only 26K miles on them. They were crap. Replaced with Michelin MXM4. My son said I was crazy to spend so much but I am glad I did.... Ride improved 100%.