2001 Rx300 Just Purchased

princered72

I just purchased a 2001 rx300. It has 125,000 on the odometer but is very clean. Some small chips on the hood and front. My mechanic check it out and said it is very good condition. CARFAX shows serviced at Lexus in NJ then Bobby Rahal in PA. Very tight car. I got a good price on it. I have heard these are very good quality cars. So far so good. Only thing now is the headlight sensor is on but found a thread on here about that. What else should I be on the lookout for?

At 125,000 miles if the transaxle hasn't already been replaced it will VERY soon need to be. Check the condition of your ATF every oil/filer change and make sure it is fairly clear and pinkish and does not smell burned.

Average life of '01 and later RX300 transaxles appears to be 80-100,000 miles. RX330 dropped the VC and uses DBW to "protect the drive train", increase the usefull life of the transaxle.

'99-'00 was even worse.

I have a 2001 RX300 I bought as a CPO from Lujack Lexus in Davenport, Iowa in October, 2005. It had 37,000 miles on the odometer when I bought it. It now has 97,400 miles. Since I purchased it I have put on a set of brakes, replaced one tail lamp, a battery and had the drivers side seat belt fixed (it would not retract). I have done the 60,000 and 90,000 mile service as well as fluid changes. I love this vehichle and it has operated flawlessly as you can see.

My only advice to you is to MAKE SURE your tranny fluid is clean and pink at all times. I do not change the tranny fluid as often as some on this site but do not think you have to as long as it is clean. I think the tranny issues are not as frequent as this site may lead you to believe but that is just my opinion. Enjoy your ride...just keep the fluids clean!

Chuck

Enjoy your ride, and yes keep the tranny fluid fresh, at least once a year do a drainn and fill. Lots of good support on this site as well as Club Lexus. learn and save. Great contributors to these forums about the RX300.