Technical Question

Hello,

Just picked up RX450h the other day. Really, really nice car. I am looking forward to much enjoyment from this vehicle.

I have a question that is technical in nature. As you know hybrids start "automatically" either by pressing the gas pedal or when the computer tells it to do so. There is no starting motor sound and the start is almost instantanious. My questios is, "What is the mechanism that start the engine?"

Looking forward to your response on this and other question I will most certainly have.

Happy July 4th Holiday!

Bob

Once you reach about 40 mph (64 kph), the gasoline engine will turn on. The generator suddenly changes speed, causing the planet carrier to turn and start the engine. Once the engine is running, it settles into a constant speed while the generator varies its speed to match the output speed with the electric motor. If you are really accelerating hard, the motor will draw extra power from the batteries. Once you are up to freeway speed, the car will move under a combination of gas and electric power, with all of the electricity coming from the generator.

This quote describes a Prius but our vehicles operate the same way. For more info and a quick videos of how the engine starts (middle of page), see

http://www.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car.htm/printable

About a second before the engine's about to start, you can just about hear a little "electrical" sound coming from the engine bay. It must be the generator cranking or something!

Once you reach about 40 mph (64 kph), the gasoline engine will turn on. The generator suddenly changes speed, causing the planet carrier to turn and start the engine. Once the engine is running, it settles into a constant speed while the generator varies its speed to match the output speed with the electric motor. If you are really accelerating hard, the motor will draw extra power from the batteries. Once you are up to freeway speed, the car will move under a combination of gas and electric power, with all of the electricity coming from the generator.

This quote describes a Prius but our vehicles operate the same way. For more info and a quick videos of how the engine starts (middle of page), see

http://www.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car.htm/printable

Thanks for the link. I have a better understanding but will have to give it more thought before saying I understand how it works. But it makes sense in that it takes a few moments after pressing the start button before the engine starts. It takes that time for the planetary gear (or whatever it is called) to start spinning to start the engine.

Thanks again!