'99 Rx300 Control/suspension Arm Bushing Replacement Or Aftermarke

serverchief

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. Took my car to shop and tech did an inspection, basically putting the car on the lift and slightly tapping on each wheel, we noticed that front right passenger side wheel was moving or shaking, where as other wheels were stable and did not move. Tech said that i have a bad bushing on the control arm and we need to replace the entire control arm since its a pain to remove the bushing alone.

Option 1:

I was wondering if i can buy they bushing online - they sell POLYURETHANE PROBLEM SOLVING BUSHINGS on ebay and other stores and can this be done at home? i have mechanic set, jack stands, etc.. I dont know what it takes to get the bushings for replacement though, i was told they are oil based and very hard to take out. I've seen on youtube where a guy used a torch to burn through the bushing and then small hacksaw to break the rings and get it out. Assuming i get the bushing out, what do i need to put it back in? is there a press of some sort or can i use a metal clamping tool to force it in?

If i do this at home, i will make a video and post it here.

Option 2:

I was told to get a new after market control arm will cost $200-$250 and labor $70, total ~$320. If i was going to buy a part myself and not mock with bushings, which brand would you recommend?

Any feedback is appreciated,

Thank you

-serverchief

oRDER A CONTROL ARM for a 1998 Toyota Camry... it will fit perfectly...should be able to get part for around $100 and I as well as others did this on the CLUB Lexus site...I can attest it was a perfect match...I compared them to the old arms and there was no difference except for some bracket mounts on the arm which can come off...THE bushing ideas was tried also, but without success. They seem to not stay in position...Rock AUTO was where I ordered from and the control arm can be had with, or without ball joints attached...Good lUck.

oRDER A CONTROL ARM for a 1998 Toyota Camry... it will fit perfectly...should be able to get part for around $100 and I as well as others did this on the CLUB Lexus site...I can attest it was a perfect match...I compared them to the old arms and there was no difference except for some bracket mounts on the arm which can come off...THE bushing ideas was tried also, but without success. They seem to not stay in position...Rock AUTO was where I ordered from and the control arm can be had with, or without ball joints attached...Good lUck.

lenore, thanks, i learned something new today :)

would you recall which brand you bought? they have Movetech, Deeza, Beck Arnley, Dorman, Klarius/Quinton Hazell, Moog, Raybestos, Delphi and ACDelco did you buy with or without ball joint? can it be replaced at home with just mechanic toolset or do i need special tools and it would be better to take it to a shop instead?

thanks again

-ilya

I hate to tell you, but I cant remember the brand, and I gave all receipts to new owner of my RX300...I did buy with ball joint as I found the price better than buying ball joint seperate.

I figured, heck, the bushings are bad, may as well replace ball joint...As for tools nothing special, but you do have to disconnect the shock tower from the hub assembly to do this job...Also getting it in there is a challenge. the first side I tried to do it without removing stuff, but found it is easier to just bite the bullet and get everything out of the way...THe bolts are really tight on the control arm and I had to use breaker bars and a crow bar to get the thing out. No special tools, just a lot of stamina....