Wow, Finally Worn Out My Awesome Goodyear Eagle Response Edge

255/55-R18 Good Year Eagle Response Edge

I purchased these tires soon after taking delivery of my RX 400H and I must say, in one word... AWESOME. Simply the best tire I have ever owned. They have been as QUIET from the day I put them on, and up until now (I am really pushing it, in terms of tread wear) where the tires are on there last legs. I have driven on them now for 4 years (spring, summer and fall) and they have been excellent in dry and in wet. They have NEVER required re-balancing during there lifespan and have never required any air during there lifespan either (I have checked the air, regularly, but honestly, have not required to add air other then sometimes adjusting tire pressures depending on what kind of road trips). As a bonus, the tires look awesome, nice tread, and really nice sidewall. The tires also had an additional ingredient or feature if you will, that really kept the look of the tire black that prevented the tire from fading or hazing the sidewall with that dungy bronze haze that so many tires do. Had Good Year Still offered them, I would buy them again in a heart beat.

When they were new, I purchased them for about $140 shipped each, from the Tire Rack. I wasn't sure about them, but after reading there marketing babble about how the sidewall were built with kevlar and reinforced to enhance a quiet ride, I opted for them without hesitation. The Goodyear RS-A were awful.

Now I am in the market for new tires, and tire rack has a blowout on the Yokohama ADVAN ST in my tire size, $135 shipped. The regular price is well over $200, and since they are being discontinued, they are being liquidated; they have 4 left LOL. I know I will be disappointed, compared to the Response Edge, but I cannot justify the price of the Bridgestone Dueler, Pirelli Scorpion, Michelin MX4's etc. Nor am I willing to take a chance on Nitto or Khumo, and certainly not Cooper, General, Firestone, Sumitomo etc...

Here's hoping Yokohama ADVAN ST live up to the legend... Good Year Eagle Responsedge.

Cheers,

MadloR

I am a bit surprised that you didn't go for the very popular Parada-X. A few of us have them and are very happy with their performance. Fortunately, you have tires from the same manufacturer, so in all likelyhood, you will like them.

By the way, my Corvette has what I consider to be one of the best tires I've ever owned - the GSD3 super high performance tires. As is your case, Goodyear no longer makes them. Since my tires still have plenty of thread left, it may be a while before I need replacements. I'll see what's available when that happens.

Holy SMOKES!!!

That was FAST! I ordered the Tires from Tire Rack on Wednesday, and they shipped from two different warehouses in the USA by UPS Ground. They arrived at the port forwarding shipping depo that I requested they be shipped to in upstate NY, on FRIDAY!!!! (July 1st).

Dayamn! THAT was frigin' fast! I won't be able to get them installed before the week of the 17th :(

So far, I have read nothing but good things about the Yokohama ADVAN S.T., they do mention they are designed for Sporty SUV's, and are a full blown summer dry and rain tire. The tire is still part of the Yokohama 2011 tire catalog, so I cannot understand why Tire Rack opted to liquidate them. Here is a photo of the tire, and it looks pretty similar to the size and diameter of my tire size 255/55-r18

advan_st.jpg

From the Yokohama product info...

FEATURES & BENEFITS:

- Directional tread pattern

- Exclusive rubber compound

- Advanced construction design

- W-shaped multidirectional grooves

- Wide centre rib

- 5-pitch variation

ADVANTAGES:

- Superior water drainage

- Provides grip unaffected by extreme high or low temperature

- Offers high speed stability

- Offers crisp steering response

- Reduced noise and better comfort

I am a bit surprised that you didn't go for the very popular Parada-X. A few of us have them and are very happy with their performance. Fortunately, you have tires from the same manufacturer, so in all likelyhood, you will like them.

By the way, my Corvette has what I consider to be one of the best tires I've ever owned - the GSD3 super high performance tires. As is your case, Goodyear no longer makes them. Since my tires still have plenty of thread left, it may be a while before I need replacements. I'll see what's available when that happens.

I was also a bit surprised. But he has 255's, the Parada is not available in that size. But I was surprised at his choice, there were other tires more highly rated in that size, particularly the General Grabber UHP. I don't think he researched it enough. But I hope he'll be happy with his choice.

I was also a bit surprised. But he has 255's, the Parada is not available in that size. But I was surprised at his choice, there were other tires more highly rated in that size, particularly the General Grabber UHP. I don't think he researched it enough. But I hope he'll be happy with his choice.

Well, research I did. In fact, I was probably one of the first on this forum to post and to actually go aftermarket and mod the factory tire model and size. I chose to go wider soon after taking ownership ( after the first oil change in fact) and ordered an extra set of factory rims and 255/55-r18 summer only tires. I still believe the factory short changed the massive weight of the vehicle when optioning out the oem tire size. The first point I tell everyone is to go with as wide as you can while trying to preserve overall tire diameter... And the size that gives you the widest width and most tire options is the 255/55-r18. The Good Year Eagle ResponsEdge was the best choice for me back in 2007 (Quiet ride, Wet Traction, Durability, and Response) based on my order of preference. AND the bonus!!!! Was they looked Hot and Maintained there sidewall clean mat look without the need to use harsh chemicals to clean the tire sidewall that happens so often with most tires (that dull bronze film).

I think the Advan S.T. @ $129 + $15 shipping is awefully tough to beat. Oh, did I mention there was no other Real brand name tire in that size under $200> plus shipping. I am simply not interested in going with low end manufactures like General, Uniroyal, Sumitomo, Cooper, Nexen etc, and based my choices on a more higher end tire manufacturer.

Cheers,

MadloR

P.S. Oh, did I mention, I got premium Yoko's for under $600!!!

Virtually everything is a compromise in one way or another. The wider tires produce more rolling resistance and thus reduces fuel mileage. It all depends on what is most important to you. Often, there are more choices of tires in certain sizes and diameters.

Agreed RX400H, most any tire choice can be a compromise.

Now, I do not want to rain on anybodies parade, for those who chose a four season tire like the Yokohama Prada-X, but as a rule a four season tire offers the highest compromise of all.

As you probably all know, a four season tire will never out perform a full Blown Winter Tire in the snow, slush, sub-zero temperatures etc... And will never out perform a High Performance Summer Tire in the Hot scorching summer sun, running at high speeds and cornering loads, driving on a highway at night and being quiet and comfortable etc... But it does offer to one extreme, a season or two of mild winter driving ( if you happen to install them right before the first winter ) and about 2 or 3 seasons of summer driving.

I run a full blown winter tire because I want the best for my winter needs ( as well, it is the law ), therefore I would of excluded any four season tire ( like the Prada-X ) for my summer needs.

Cheers,

MadloR

For those of us who live in temperate climates and who own a 4600 lb luxury SUV, there is little compromise between a high performance all-season tire and a high performance summer tire, as our vehicles cannot take full advantage of a "stickier" tire. In fact the all-season tires will most like my provide longer wear.

Dave

I live in the LA area...it's nice year round...so the Paradas are perfect for me. So far it's been a really nice tire. So smooth and quiet. Rey in LA

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday (11/07/19) was the official day that the Good Year Eagle Responsedge tires came off the car and into retirement. I had the Yokohama Advan S.T. installed, mounted and balanced.

I drove back from my US residency to Canada (my canadian residents) and will allow for a few tanks of gas so as to give the new tires a chance to break in. I will say, like any new tire coming onto a vehicle that previously had tires worn down to the thread minimum, you will immediately notice a difference in ride quality. The extra rubber whenever you swap from worn to new will immediately show a smoother more comfortable ride.

Like any new tire, there needs to have a chance to scrub off the tire lubricant used to allow the tire to break away from the tire mold. As well, there needs the time for the tire to break into shape by wearing off the dimples and settle into a smooth wear.

My first reactions were, like I mentioned above, smoother. The tires are road noisier than the worn Good Years, due to the dimples and brand new nature of the tire. I look forward to updating with a new thread about my initial impressions of the Yokohama Advan S.T. So far, they are a damn nice looking tire, and I hope to be equally impressed in terms of my criteria's when choosing a Summer Only tire.

Cheers,

MadloR