Change Oil On 2011 Rx 350

Went to dealer for 5000mi/6 mo service. The place was packed and i was there for an hour and 1/2....Unless you have 10,000 miles all they do is reset the maintanence reminder...

I decieded to change my own oil..

Bought Toyota Oil filter tool for $51 from lexus/toyota site. Read u can get one at Walmat for $4. but i'm not using a $4 tool on $45,000 car..

odered oil filter.

Ordered case of oil from Lexus sewellparts site 0W20.

Oil filter which had directions on side. (comes with 2 rubber gaskets u must change as well as plastic oil drain plug for oil (removal from) filter housing)

Searched for pictures of oil change for rx online and saw how oil filter housing works. (it's simple..and brilliant once u understand)

It is truly the easiest car to change oil on..My 2000 Honda crv is 100 times harder..

In hindsight: It shows that this vehicle is so well designed it can withstand very little maintanence.

( i have read of people leasing for 3 years and brought the car in once)

I bought mine and am in for the long haul.

When you do take your Lexus in for the "10,000 mile" service, please be advised that the technician may crank the little "cap" at the bottom of the oil filter housing on very tight so that when you go to change the oil at a subsequent date, when you try to remove the little cap to pre drain the filter cartridge, the entire housing moves. I now have a spare housing and plan to use it in the very near future for an oil change. Once I have the original housing off the car, I am going to place the housing in a vice and loosen the housing cap for future use.

• 2 weeks later...

When you do take your Lexus in for the "10,000 mile" service, please be advised that the technician may crank the little "cap" at the bottom of the oil filter housing on very tight so that when you go to change the oil at a subsequent date, when you try to remove the little cap to pre drain the filter cartridge, the entire housing moves. I now have a spare housing and plan to use it in the very near future for an oil change. Once I have the original housing off the car, I am going to place the housing in a vice and loosen the housing cap for future use.

That entire housing movement thing is easily remedied by using an oil filter strap wrench in the tighten direction at the same time you open the housing.

That entire housing movement thing is easily remedied by using an oil filter strap wrench in the tighten direction at the same time you open the housing.

Bad Brad: Thanks for the insight. I figured it out the other morning during my daily walk...I do have a strap wrench which will work to solve such a problem in the future. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Went to dealer for 5000mi/6 mo service. The place was packed and i was there for an hour and 1/2....Unless you have 10,000 miles all they do is reset the maintanence reminder...

Bought Toyota Oil filter tool for $51 from lexus/toyota site. Read u can get one at Walmat for $4. but i'm not using a $4 tool on $45,000 car..

odered oil filter.

Oil filter which had directions on side. (comes with 2 rubber gaskets u must change as well as plastic oil drain plug for oil (removal from) filter housing)

Searched for pictures of oil change for rx online and saw how oil filter housing works. (it's simple..and brilliant once u understand)

It is truly the easiest car to change oil on..My 2000 Honda crv is 100 times harder..

In hindsight: It shows that this vehicle is so well designed it can withstand very little maintanence.

Thanks for great post. Looking to do a oil change soon. Was interested in the type of oil filter you ordered. A friend of mine says the Lexus filter looks very flimsy so he uses a Fram which he says its constructed much better visually. Wondering if the Lexus filter can be cross reference to a Fram cartridge type filter? And if so do you have to number to Lexus so I can cross the number to other filter choices? Also have you looked into a KN filter for yours?

odered oil filter.

Thanks for great post. Looking to do a oil change soon. Was interested in the type of oil filter you ordered. A friend of mine says the Lexus filter looks very flimsy so he uses a Fram which he says its constructed much better visually. Wondering if the Lexus filter can be cross reference to a Fram cartridge type filter? And if so do you have to number to Lexus so I can cross the number to other filter choices? Also have you looked into a KN filter for yours?

Use the factory filter cartridge; you'll have greater peace of mind. I roam inside the world of home-garage engine builders, car builders, and sportsman drag racers. We know better than to use Fram. Most will use factory oil filters (if available) before going aftermarket.

For a premium, high quality, synthetic filter: get a Toyota TRD# PTR43-00082 filter. It fits the 2010-2012 V6 RX350 [is the same engine in Camry V6 07-11, and Avalon 05-11]. Cost will be approx. $9.xx each. Yer engine will love it!