Replace 95 Ls400 Brake Light

srgilbert

I'm stumped. I need to replace the rear tail ight on my 95 LS400. The bulb is not in the trunk lid and I assume is behind the trunk liner. Well I removed the corner of the liner and it looks like there is a cable with a rubber seal leading out of the trunk into the light. The cable will not come out and I can't figure out how to get to the bulb. ANy thoughts?

Thanks as always!

turn the round bulb assembly

and it wil come oout

and then you just pull the bulb

push the new one

put it back into the taillight and rotate in the opposite direction

whole procedure is 5 mins including those 2 screws you have to remove to get the corener taillight out

I have no idea how similar the 90 and 95 tailight assemblys are, but the look about the same from the outside. I have a detailed visual on how to replace the bulbs in the body portion of the car (not the bulbs in the trunk lid). send me your email and I'll send it in PDF. dwmahony@cox.net

• 4 years later...
I'm stumped. I need to replace the rear tail ight on my 95 LS400. The bulb is not in the trunk lid and I assume is behind the trunk liner. Well I removed the corner of the liner and it looks like there is a cable with a rubber seal leading out of the trunk into the light. The cable will not come out and I can't figure out how to get to the bulb. ANy thoughts?

Thanks as always!

I think I am 4 years too late in replying this, but I think someone may find this info useful. The previous reply to this question did not answer the question. I just fixed mine yesterday and was confused by reading the response before I finally figured it out. This is what you need to do.

The rubber seal is not removable. Ther are two white plastic clips-like push pins next to the rubber seal. These 2 plastic push pins hold the light assembly in place. Before you use a pair of plier to remove and un-hinge the clips, you have to first remove 2 screws on the outside of the car. Next to the license plate, there are 2 black plastic round covers, about the size of a dime. Remove the round cover and you will see 2 screws. Remove both screws and then un-hinge the plastic clips next to the rubber seal on the inside of the quarter panel. The light assembly should come free.

Turn the light knob counter clock wise, and replace the bulb. Reverse the process to put everything together.

Hope you'll find this useful.

• 1 year later...

Thanks as always!

I think I am 4 years too late in replying this, but I think someone may find this info useful. The previous reply to this question did not answer the question. I just fixed mine yesterday and was confused by reading the response before I finally figured it out. This is what you need to do.

The rubber seal is not removable. Ther are two white plastic clips-like push pins next to the rubber seal. These 2 plastic push pins hold the light assembly in place. Before you use a pair of plier to remove and un-hinge the clips, you have to first remove 2 screws on the outside of the car. Next to the license plate, there are 2 black plastic round covers, about the size of a dime. Remove the round cover and you will see 2 screws. Remove both screws and then un-hinge the plastic clips next to the rubber seal on the inside of the quarter panel. The light assembly should come free.

Turn the light knob counter clock wise, and replace the bulb. Reverse the process to put everything together.

Hope you'll find this useful.

Thanks for the post. Is everything that you described external or do you have to remove the three bolts inside the trunk behind the liner (after taking off plastic trunk guard)? Thanks.

Steve

I've got a 1998 LS 400, and I believe the design should be exactly the same as your 1995. The 1990-1994 LS is a bit different, I think.

I know what "three bolts inside the trunk behind the liner" you're referring to, but you don't have to mess with those. You do have to sort of loosen/remove the tail lamp assembly to get at the bulbs, and this requires the removal of exactly two screws (circled in photos). As Cyber_man mentioned, you'll need to use a flat screwdriver to pry off the dime-size circular covers concealing the two screws. I've attached a first picture showing one of the covers and a second picture of both screws with the covers removed.

Once you get the screws out, gently pull the tail lamp assembly back while jiggling it a bit toward the outboard side of the car (away from the trunk opening). It should tip back and allow you to access the bulbs. Of course, reassembly is the reverse of removal.

The bulbs in the trunklid itself are easy--flaps in the trunklid carpeting grant access to those.

post-21959-1263760565_thumb.jpg

post-21959-1263760580_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a 1998 LS 400, and I believe the design should be exactly the same as your 1995. The 1990-1994 LS is a bit different, I think.

I know what "three bolts inside the trunk behind the liner" you're referring to, but you don't have to mess with those. You do have to sort of loosen/remove the tail lamp assembly to get at the bulbs, and this requires the removal of exactly two screws (circled in photos). As Cyber_man mentioned, you'll need to use a flat screwdriver to pry off the dime-size circular covers concealing the two screws. I've attached a first picture showing one of the covers and a second picture of both screws with the covers removed.

Once you get the screws out, gently pull the tail lamp assembly back while jiggling it a bit toward the outboard side of the car (away from the trunk opening). It should tip back and allow you to access the bulbs. Of course, reassembly is the reverse of removal.

The bulbs in the trunklid itself are easy--flaps in the trunklid carpeting grant access to those.

Great advice! done in less than five minuets. THANK YOU!

Steve