Celsior 1994 Stereo

Sparkyy

Hey guys my picking up first LS400/celsior on the weekend and my main concern is the factory head unit doesnt get any power to it. Id like to see if i can find the solution to this problem before i get the car so i can fix it quickly. Im not sure if it has the fancy stock system or just the standard one. All I know is that it has the amp under the drivers seat and a 6 cd changer above the glove box, the cd changer has power to it. Obviously im going to check all the fuses when i get the car to rule that out, might even take the unit out and test for power from the batt and ign. Could the amp cause this problem? Im not sure so any advice is greatly appreciated. Might note that my car is a right hand drive as i live in New Zealand.

Cheers guys, Todd.

I doubt if there is all that much similar between the audio systems of your LS400/Celsior and a North American LS400. If the car you are buying is a Japanese market Celsior it could have navigation which was not available in the North American LS400 until the 1998 model year (Autumn 1997). In dash CD changers were not on LS400's sold here until the 1995 model year (Autumn 1994).

And our radios have only AM and FM bands -- without the medium, short wave and traffic bands on right hand drive LS400's and Celsiors. By all means, check the fuses. On most Toyota and Lexus cars sold here, there are two fuses for the audio system: "Radio 1" and "Radio 2". One is in the engine compartment fuse box and one is in the fux box under the dash.

The easiest way to check the amp is to remove it and try it in another similar car. On my 2000 LS400, the amp is easily removed without removing the front seat although it takes a second person to push the front tabs into the slots when reinstalling it. I once tested my amp by laying it on the rear floor of a friend's car and plugging his amps cables into my amp. It was not necessary to remove his amp to test mine. Your problem may not be the amp. When one of the channels on my audio system went out, everyone told me that the amp was the problem but my amp worked fine when I tested it in my friend's car. The problem turned out to be a loose wire on the balance control in the head unit.

Show us some photos of your car. It's always nice to see photos of RHD Celsiors and LS400's since they frequently have a much higher level of equipment than those sold in North America.

Celsiors normally have the "Premium Sound System" fitted if you have an amplifier under the seat it should be a series 3 (October 1994 on).

Not being funny here but have you pushed the volume control as this is normally the on/off switch for the head unit?

My Celsior as I bought it in 2005.

Lexus009.jpg

In 2011

DSCF0047.jpg

Im not picking up the car till tomorrow morning and i will deffinately put some pics up, yes i've pushed the butoon and held it down and so forth, cant do much till tomorrow anyway. There is just no power on the head unit, so im not sure if the amp is the problem because surely the head unit would light up and operate if the amp was faulty. Cheers for the suggestions guys ill let you know how i get on.

Todd

Ok all fixed guys, took the radio out and found one of the connectors in the back of it was disconnected so i plugged it in and all is now good thanks heaps for all the help.

Todd