What The Hell? What Is With My Luck Lately?!

ArmyofOne

On my way home from work last night, I stopped and filled up the Ram. She was on "E". I pushed it a little farther than normal, but was curious about the fillup price:

$112.65 from empty. At $3.79 a gallon.

I woke up this morning to go to work, and my truck started as normal. Paid little attention to the gauges. I ran back in the house to grab my wallet, and I come out and the truck has stalled. I turn it over, it starts for a second, then dies. I look at my fuel gauge, and Big Blue is BONE DRY.

I get out and look for a fuel leak, realizing almost immediately that if there was 26 gallons of fuel on the ground, I would certianly smell/see it.

Someone just stole $112 dollars from me. I am friggin' *BLEEP*ed. :censored:

Obviously a locking gas cap is coming very soon...any other creative suggestions?

Perhaps ones that involve blood, or loss of appendages, and lots of screaming.

I can tell you this much...

It's stakeout time. Free beer for all who want to join. And I dont buy the cheap stuff.

Locking cap no question! Something else you may want to get is a security light that has a motion sensor. Maybe even a cheap outdoor video camera with a motion sensor. If I lived closer I would come drink some beers with you! :cheers:

Ok, let me be clear...

The revenge tactics cannot involve the destruction of or damage to my $42,000 investment :blink: . Please? LOL.

Sorry saw that in a movie years ago, the final deterent to theft....just joking, at least they didnt ice pick the tank and steal the gas, I have heard that is a favorite way to get it now....

On my way home from work last night, I stopped and filled up the Ram. She was on "E". I pushed it a little farther than normal, but was curious about the fillup price:

$112.65 from empty. At $3.79 a gallon.

I woke up this morning to go to work, and my truck started as normal. Paid little attention to the gauges. I ran back in the house to grab my wallet, and I come out and the truck has stalled. I turn it over, it starts for a second, then dies. I look at my fuel gauge, and Big Blue is BONE DRY.

I get out and look for a fuel leak, realizing almost immediately that if there was 26 gallons of fuel on the ground, I would certianly smell/see it.

Someone just stole $112 dollars from me. I am friggin' *BLEEP*ed. :censored:

Obviously a locking gas cap is coming very soon...any other creative suggestions?

Perhaps ones that involve blood, or loss of appendages, and lots of screaming.

I can tell you this much...

It's stakeout time. Free beer for all who want to join. And I dont buy the cheap stuff.

Apart from a locking gas cap, get this below and install it in a strategic location. It's worth many times its purchase price. And works very well...

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-119455C-Trophy-Vision-Camera/dp/B0039UX5C8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308858416&sr=8-2

I second the ice-picking of the gas tank. Heard it's been happening here in ChiTcago quite a bit. Also, keep a watchful eye for catalytic thieves. They've been cutting cat's out of trucks and suv's for the metal contents inside. Talk about a dirty job, but they've got it down to a science. I've heard the 4runner is a favorite pick, so i'm sure i'm next....

You know, the fact that you did't have a cap lock might've saved your gas tank though.... Somebody clearly had to park next to you and dump the fuel straight into their tank. Probably a truck or big SUV, since cars usually can't hold 30 gallons of gas, and I'd like to see the person strong enough to carry 30 gallons of anything. Somebody obviously knows the Dodge trucks don't have locking caps, saw your truck, and knew it was an easy target. Maybe another Dodge truck owner...

video camera. That's all you can do. And get a good higher resolution camera too. I have a 16 foot box truck that we have to bring inside the building every night because even a locking gas cap won't stop someone from cutting the rubber hose line from the inlet port to the tank that you can plainly see! I need to have a body guy make a metal guard that goes around that hole area.

There are two ways to approach security cameras: 1) As a way to actually catch the individual(s) who commit a crime or 2) As a deterrent. If a security camera is plainly visible and is believed to be in working order, criminals will think twice before acting. Though often they will still go ahead, as shown by all security videos showing idiots in action. A barking dog is also a good deterrent, but brings its own set of troubles. Motion-activated lights are helpful too. The bottom line is criminals will tend to pick the easiest target. After all, they don't want to be caught. Just make it harder to steal from you than from your neighbors and they will go to the neighbors. I spent a few years working with the LEA.

SERIOUSLY?? :blink: How could someone have the nerve to do that? Did this happen at your house??

You've gotta have one sick mind to steal someone else's gas right out of their car...

At least they didn't damage your gas cap... Two summers ago someone vandalized my Rx400h, literally a month after i got it. They keyed the hood and whole left side, and it looked as though someone tried to pry the gas cover open (even thought it has a lock). Apparently everybody's hurting for gas!

The truck was parked outside my house, and the spot next to it (apartment style parking) was empty. Unfortunately, I live on the base. My guns have to be locked up in the Unit Armory, Registered on base, and can only be checked out for 12 hours at a time for firing ranges without a lot of paperwork. When I check them back in, I have to bring a reciept from the range, etc. Pain in the !Removed!.

A locking gas cap is the next mod for the truck. It will pay for itself the very next time this is attempted. Many look pretty flimsy though. I suppose it just keeps honest people, honest. Unfortunately, since the home is Standard Army Issue, I cannot modify it or alter it in ANY way (specifically with CCTV/surveillance equipment), except for decor items.

In other news, on an update...I have a friend of mine with an 05 suburban. We are trying this right now. I am at his house, his truck is parked in his spot at his on post house about a mile from mine. He needed gas and none of us work tomorrow. The whole platoon is camping in the 'burban tonight. He pumped 34 gallons of fuel.

Time will tell...

The truck was parked outside my house, and the spot next to it (apartment style parking) was empty. Unfortunately, I live on the base. My guns have to be locked up in the Unit Armory, Registered on base, and can only be checked out for 12 hours at a time for firing ranges without a lot of paperwork. When I check them back in, I have to bring a reciept from the range, etc. Pain in the !Removed!.

A locking gas cap is the next mod for the truck. It will pay for itself the very next time this is attempted. Many look pretty flimsy though. I suppose it just keeps honest people, honest. Unfortunately, since the home is Standard Army Issue, I cannot modify it or alter it in ANY way (specifically with CCTV/surveillance equipment), except for decor items.

In other news, on an update...I have a friend of mine with an 05 suburban. We are trying this right now. I am at his house, his truck is parked in his spot at his on post house about a mile from mine. He needed gas and none of us work tomorrow. The whole platoon is camping in the 'burban tonight. He pumped 34 gallons of fuel.

Time will tell...

You are correct in regards that many gas cap are flimsy and not worth buying, in particular those sold at Walmart and similar. I would suggest you go to a GM dealer, a Ford dealer and a Volvo dealer and ask to see their locking gas caps. You can then compare price and quality. It has been a few years since I bought my last gas cap, but I found that the one sold at the Volvo dealer was much higher in quality and fit all my other cars. I'm not familiar with your truck, but I assume 'one size fits all'. Also, I saw a device at Walmart (cheap$) to prevent people from inserting a tube and steal your gas. It was a sort of coil spring that you just inserted after the gas cap. Check it out.

We caught the perpetrator's last night! We were right about being followed from the gas station. About 130am, same thing happened to my friends suburban. 2-16ish year old males, pulled up to the truck with several 5 gallon fuel cans and tried to begin siphoning. To their credit, they were smart. Driving what was appartently one of their parent's Prius to do the deed. I am guessing because they can glide in on electricity virtually silent and undetected. As soon as they got out of the car, we sent a text to our Military Police friend, who came and blocked the car in its space. When he and his partner arrived, we all (7 soldier's, my entire squad) got out of the truck. The MP's arrested the young men.

These two young men, turns out were son's of some pretty high ranking brass. The Prius they were driving was registered to one of their mother's. I would be willing to guess the parents were called to come get their vehicle. It was not impounded, but left across the street in an overflow parking lot for the neighborhood. I went to bed about 330am, when I drove to the store this morning, that car was gone.

To prevent future fuel snatchings, I got both this:

gascap.jpg

and this:

order_product.png

Set me back a total of $25 for everything.

I got a call from a High Ranking person today on post. He asked me to keep it quiet, so all I will say is that I have been paid $150 for my troubles, and given this gentlemen's phone number so that if there turns out to be any damage to my truck, I can call him and he will take care of it.

I cannot divulge rank, but he is one of the 5 highest ranking people on this post. He is also the father of one of the youngsters. He said "Dont worry about it happening any more, I am going to take every dime out of my son's !Removed!, and then some."

As to whether punishment under the law would be severe, I cant honestly say. I would think it would be severe enough at home that it isnt going to matter. This man was truly livid at his son, in every sense of the word. And since civilian police departments have no jurisdiction on post, more than likely this person will be sweeping this under the rug quick, fast and in a hurry.

Personally I would call back and make sure it sticks in this young mans head...I would say maybe these kids should mow your lawn for the summer and do any yard work on a weekly basis...I dont particularily trust parents to do as said, They pay for their kids mistakes, and dont follow thru... Years age some kids used to bash mail boxes and hit a neighbors fence....in their car..It went to juvi court and I loved the judges punishment...not only did they pay a fine, but had to come and put the fence back up...Judges orders...That is how kids learn...

You got em??!!! That's awsome! Military rules is 2x's full restitution isn't it? And a promotion to next rank for uncommon support and looking the other way. LOL!!