Acceleration Delays In 02 Gs 300

Bought a 2002 GS 300 with 9500 miles, it is still under warranty. On occassion when I press the accelerator there is a noticeable delay, then the car takes off very abruptly. The problem seemed to occur more frequently when the engine is cold. took it in for service and technician said that all GSs perform this way (it's related to electronic transmission). I have also now noticed the problem even after car has been driven. Problem is more of occassional than consistent. If I take it in to the dealer again I'll bet $1 it won't repeat the problem on test drive. Tech also said with plenty time left on warranty just continue to drive and if it is a real problem it will get worse then bring it back in. After dropping $35K plus I want this car to perform flawlessly. Has anyone had a similar problem? Am I going to regret not getting the 5 series beamer instead

The GS has whats called a drive by wire system. That means that there is no throttle cable everything is electronic. This is what creates your delay, and it cannot be helped, it is the way the car is.

There are some things you can try to help though, try driving the car in the "ECT PWR" mode, this helps to smooth things out somewhat, you can also routinely disconnect the battery and reset the computer, which I've heard helps.

In all honesty, you get used to it yourself and you learn instinctively how to use the pedal so the hesitation goes away. Its just part of using the system.

For a more punchy response there are a couple of items as well. A reworked stall converter from precision industries is an item that many have used and comes well regarded. How does the transmission fluid look? Some have used a cross reference weight oil from the likes of redline in modified transmissions and high horsepower lexus. This fluid has a performance base application and may or may not help your condition. This issue is not just a Lexus one. Many automatic transmissions perform this way. In fact, I've never driven an automatic that didn't unless it was modified.

You did not go wrong by getting a lexus. Put a turbo on there and you will eat any BMW alive.

• 3 weeks later...

I had that same problem with my GS300 and it really bothered me. after my 60,000 mile check up. they cleaned the heads, the plugs, and the normal stuff. It runs like a dream machine now, no hesitation at all. Sometimes your impurites in the lower grade gas can clog up your heads, make sure you use premium gas it really makes a difference. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi all: Newbie to the board. I bought a 2000 GS 300 in Feb. with 12,500 miles on it. I noticed right away the slight hestation/shudder when accelerating , usually around 45-60 mph. A Lexus engineer happened to be at the dealer in Annapolis the day I took it in and he drove mine to check the problem. He said it was related to the torque converter and that there was nothing I could do about it. I love cars but I'm not very knowledgable about the inner mechanisms.

If I disconnect the battery as an earlier post mentioned, would that reset the computer and maybe alleviate the problem a little as it adjusts to my driving style? Any harm in driving in the ECT Poer mode continuously?

Thanks!

Hi all: Newbie to the board. I bought a 2000 GS 300 in Feb. with 12,500 miles on it. I noticed right away the slight hestation/shudder when accelerating , usually around 45-60 mph. A Lexus engineer happened to be at the dealer in Annapolis the day I took it in and he drove mine to check the problem. He said it was related to the torque converter and that there was nothing I could do about it. I love cars but I'm not very knowledgable about the inner mechanisms.

If I disconnect the battery as an earlier post mentioned, would that reset the computer and maybe alleviate the problem a little as it adjusts to my driving style? Any harm in driving in the ECT Poer mode continuously?

Thanks!

" Any harm in driving in the ECT Poer mode continuously?" Not at all, I know many Lexus owners that leave it in "PWR" mode all the time...

And if you disconnect or take out the ECU fuse it will reset it.. And after you reset it, make sure you drive the snot out of it for awhile.. Also, there is something you can do to end that problem you have.. You can upgrade your Torque Converter and get one with a higher stall speed.. I'm actually in the process of getting one myself.. IMO it will give your I6 awhole lot of kick when you stomp the pedal to the floor... You'll be amazed... The part will run you about $1,000. and the install isn't something easy so it's not going to be cheap, I'd say over $500....

A Lexus engineer happened to be at the dealer in Annapolis the day I took it in and he drove mine to check the problem. He said it was related to the torque converter and that there was nothing I could do about it.
:lol:

Us engineers think alike. ;) But he is wrong. There is something you can do about it. While it is of course very important to run high test and keep your ignition and intake system well maitained for optimum performance, a reworked converter will give more beast to your machine. This engineer probably is discouraged from recommending this type of modification because manufacturers don't want to ecourage use of their vehicles beyond the original intention. And that intention is to be a luxo family cruiser aimed at the benign general public - the mass typical Lexus driver. The Precision Industries unit has been well recieved in the aftermarket Lexus community -

www.converter.com

Sound Performance in Chicago also has an offering with full warranty if they do the install and a tranny cooler is installed as well.

www.sound-performance.com

I also have these sites linked in the SC forum FAQ.

A modified ecu may also allow for massaged shift points better suited to a quick response for the lead foot.

Good luck.

Mrsypher:

Thanks for the reply! So in the short term disconnecting the battery, thereby resetting the ECU, and driving the "snot " out of it should help with the hesitation issue, correct?

I'm interested in in the new Torque Converter.

Thanks.

Mike

No problem.. Driving the snot out of your car after you reset the ECU may work.. But if it doesn't don't worry too much about it, esp if your seriously interested in the TC..

• 18 years later...

my son just bought 2002 Lexus GS300 had a 198000 miles on it he had it about a month and it started hesitating bad we replace the MAF sensor and replaced the transmission and now the hesitation is worse the mass air flow sensor has also been changed Eddie ideas please help don't know what else to do