Clanking Noise While Steering At Corner

lsrxlex

Hi all,

I have a 1990 LS400 with 354k miles, and it makes loud clanking noise (from the left front wheel area) when I make a right turn at 30 mph or faster. It seems okay with left turn though.

I replaced the bushings on both Upper Control Arms at about 200k miles, but still have the original UCA with the original ball joints. I still have original front wheel bearings.

What would be the cause?

Please help.

Thanks

you are driving a dangerous car, have a professional check it out, THEN ask us for help

Yeah, ditto what Billy said. You could probably raise the front wheels off of the ground and tug up/down, right/left on your left wheel and get lots of play from what you are saying.

At 324k miles you are probably overdue for several front-end components. Get a good alignment shop to do a triage. Then plan your next move.

Today, I raised the left front wheel then tugged up/down and left/right and got only minimal play at up/down. I think that's normal for old wheel bearings, because the play was hard to feel at first, then I had to use a long wrench to help lifting the wheel up/down in order to get the feeling. No play on left/right tugging at all.

I should have added that these following parts have been replaced @ about 200+k miles: lower front ball joints, shock absorbers, strut bar bushings, stabilizer bar bushings,front brake calipers+ pads+ rotors, front and rear brake lines.

I drive about 100 miles (round trip) daily, mostly on freeway, to various cities. Now that I planned to take a trip to a city of 400 miles away. So I'd like to make sure it's safe to use this car or not.

What could be the cause?

Thanks for all the help.

We can't tell from here what the problem is. Like it was mentioned, take the car to a GOOD alignment shop. They'll do a "pre-alignment check" as it is not possible to accurately set angles if there is play in the suspension parts. They'll figure it out, probably show you where the problem is - think big pry bar between two components, and them yanking on the bar to make the parts move independently of one another. Then you will know what to do.

Clanking is not good - and it's not a wheel bearing.

Today, I have both UCA replaced and the mechanic checked all suspension parts on left wheel area, including the bearings, and he found nothing wrong. And then I made a couple of fast right turns (whenever safe to do so) and got no more clanking noise.

Hopefully, the problem was with the UCA (ball joints) with 354k miles on, as the mechanic said.

Thanks.

Today, I have both UCA replaced and the mechanic checked all suspension parts on left wheel area, including the bearings, and he found nothing wrong. And then I made a couple of fast right turns (whenever safe to do so) and got no more clanking noise.

Hopefully, the problem was with the UCA (ball joints) with 354k miles on, as the mechanic said.

Thanks.

That would've been my suspicion too; however, I didn't see your post until after your mechanic had replaced the UCA ball joints. 354K miles? That's awesome! Here's hoping for many more.....Be safe!