07 Ls460 Paint Problem

Bugs eat clearcoat  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Any bugs destroy your Lexus 460 clearcoat?

I have a 2007 LS460 garage kept that I baby and keep washed clean. I hit some bugs, possibly love bugs, and they ate right into the clearcoat in two days. I am looking at a $1000 paint job plus $350 to have the extra coat of clearcoat applied that I should have purchased when it was new.

I have a 2007 LS460 garage kept that I baby and keep washed clean. I hit some bugs, possibly love bugs, and they ate right into the clearcoat in two days. I am looking at a $1000 paint job plus $350 to have the extra coat of clearcoat applied that I should have purchased when it was new.

Can you post pictures of the damage? And what's this $350 charge to have extra clear added?

Are you talking about the paint protection stuff the dealer offers you at purchase? If so, that's not clearcoat or paint of any kind. It's simply a wax they rub on, which just washes off within a month or two... Completely useless.

No one can simply "add another coat" of clear onto a cars paint without hours of prep work wet-sanding and what not. I suppose during body work a shop could apply extra clear, but it wouldn't do much...

• 1 year later...

Are you talking about the paint protection stuff the dealer offers you at purchase? If so, that's not clearcoat or paint of any kind. It's simply a wax they rub on, which just washes off within a month or two... Completely useless.

No one can simply "add another coat" of clear onto a cars paint without hours of prep work wet-sanding and what not. I suppose during body work a shop could apply extra clear, but it wouldn't do much...

Actually there are a number of special clear coats availble for protecting against 'small' rock chips. If he is having the front repainted it might be a good time to do this, but, and its a big but, the paint surface will not look quite as smooth as the rest of the car. We are uisng this type coating on the front of the million dollar plus motor coaches we make and sell.