You Won't Believe This One

pj8708

Most city laws like that haven't been enforced since about the late 1970's when pickup trucks were well on their way to becoming mainstream vehicles for private transportation. As of 1976, it was still illegal to drive a truck of any type - commercial or private - on any Kansas City street with a "boulevard" designation. I know/knew a number of people who were fined.

My homes association here in Kansas has a rule prohibiting the parking of pickup trucks on the street or in driveways but I see no sign of the one offender being fined -- maybe because he is an attorney or that he does keep his 4-door Explorer pickup in spotless condition. I could be fined for leaving my garage door open if I am not in the garage or front yard but I have never left it open in the 12 years I've lived here so I don't know if I would be hassled.

One neighborhood here requires home owners to have a garage space for each owned vehicle and allow non-garage parking only for visitors but I don't know if the rule is being enforced. Many cities and homes associations near me prohibit the outside parking of boats and RV's of any size.

I don't see anything wrong with rules like this but I checked the rules before I bought a house in the neighborhood where I live so I knew what I was getting into.

The campers, boats, RV's, etc I fully understand as every city and neighborhood wants to look it's best. But honestly, a ubiquitous pick-up truck? The pick-up truck or it's steroidal companion the SUV, is so common these days as family transportation that I think you would be hard pressed to drive down an average city block without seeing one of them. And who decided that the SUV is better looking that the pick-up. They both are built on truck chassis.

Your right Jim, if a neighborhood association wishes to establish rules and regulations for the betterment and welfare of the neighborhood, and they are lawful and non discriminatory then if you live there you should expect to tow the line. Otherwise, move.

Paul

What could possibly be the legal reasoning behind this law?? Is it seriously a cosmetic issue of having a pick-up in the driveway? I can think of about 6.02x10^23 other cars on the road more offensive looking than a pick-up... :wacko:

Coral Gables, Florida is not a PUD, therefore it is not allowed the same rules and regulations that a HOA would be allowed to subject its population to. Coral Gables is a town within Miami proper. I use to live in Coral Gables for about a year in 1987...very interesting time in my life. 14 years old, from Oklahoma...it was like Brian Bozworth meets Sunny Crocket...Only thing more interesting was 1988, when I arrived in B'ham Alabama. It was like Sunny Crocket meets Bear Bryant. Yeah...I had an interesting childhood at times..

I'd be willing to bet every lawyer who lives in Coral Gables is standing in line at Hertz right now trying to rent a pick-up truck to park in their own/private/tax paying driveway... I know I would be. Not to mention, many houses in Coral Gables are big and fancy, but many are not, and don't have garages....or how about all of the condo owners with surface parking, not garage parking...

Slicked back scum bag lawyers....mount up...it's game time.

Coral Gables, Florida is not a PUD, therefore it is not allowed the same rules and regulations that a HOA would be allowed to subject its population to. Coral Gables is a town within Miami proper. I use to live in Coral Gables for about a year in 1987...very interesting time in my life. 14 years old, from Oklahoma...it was like Brian Bozworth meets Sunny Crocket...Only thing more interesting was 1988, when I arrived in B'ham Alabama. It was like Sunny Crocket meets Bear Bryant. Yeah...I had an interesting childhood at times..

I'd be willing to bet every lawyer who lives in Coral Gables is standing in line at Hertz right now trying to rent a pick-up truck to park in their own/private/tax paying driveway... I know I would be. Not to mention, many houses in Coral Gables are big and fancy, but many are not, and don't have garages....or how about all of the condo owners with surface parking, not garage parking...

Slicked back scum bag lawyers....mount up...it's game time.

I love your piece nc. Really funny! LOL (By the way, showing my ignorance, what is a PUD?)

Paul