Headlamp Washer Question..

Finally had my washer pump replaced (extended warranty, thank you). Now I know the headlights have to be on, but here's what I notice. If I use the headlamp washer button below the radio, I can wash the headlights over and over. If I use the windshield washer (on the turn signal stalk) I can only wash once. It won't wash again right away if I use the windshield washer again right away. I haven't checked to see if this is a time delay thing (or mileage) but if I shut the car off and then back on, it will wash with the windshield washer again, but again only the one time. Tomorrow, I'll wash them with the windshield washer switch, then drive to work (60km or 40 mins) and see if it washes again after my drive.

Is this normal?

Is this normal?

Apparently it is. Page 71 of your owners manual:

Vehicles with headlight cleaner — If you pull the windshield

washer lever toward you with the headlights on, the headlight

cleaner operates once automatically together with the

windshield washer fluid.

Maybe it is to prevent wasting washer fluid. I wish the Mercedes I drove for over a decade had that feature. It sprayed the headlights every time I washed the windshield whether or not the headlights needed it.

You know I flipped through the owner's manual already and was aware that it sprayed with the headlights. I guess I found this part a bit ambiguous.

"the headlight

cleaner operates once automatically"

I assumed it meant it sprayed once each time I used the windshield washer, but I'm guessing it means once every ignition cycle (i.e. once if the windshield washer is used, but only that one time until the ignition is turned off and started again, no matter how many additional times you use the windshield washer)

I don't even think it should be linked to the windshield washer - it should be exclusively activated with the dedicated button under the radio, which can be used as many times as needed during a driving cycle.

I don't even think it should be linked to the windshield washer - it should be exclusively activated with the dedicated button under the radio, which can be used as many times as needed during a driving cycle.

I agree. I hate getting washer fluid all over my clean hood when all I want to do is clear the frost off the windshield. The headlight washers only work if the headlights are on. It's hard to remember to turn off the lights before using the windshield washers.

I agree. I hate getting washer fluid all over my clean hood when all I want to do is clear the frost off the windshield. The headlight washers only work if the headlights are on. It's hard to remember to turn off the lights before using the windshield washers.

I too agree!

Mine does the same thing though, only lets you spray the headlights once within a certain stretch of time... Maybe it knows people can get carried away with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Works as advertised, but, I find it to be stupid. If I had intended to wash my headlights, I should choose to do so regardless of driving condition. Hence, only work with the headlight washer switch, and not with the very first time that I hit the windshield washer button while driving with my headlights on... Quirky, but livable.

Cheers,

MadloR

• 7 years later...