Your Not Going To Believe This!

smooth1

Nice!

I'm jealous ;)

I have ours all picked out, the dark green color with the black interior, Laredo X model. I got a quote for what seems like a good price...MSRP is $38,285 offer is $33,900. Thats like $1600 below invoice...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that looks nice!! The new Cherokee interior looks very "Mercedes-esque", definitely a step up from the previous generations. Good luck with it :cheers:

I don't know that I buy that Josh...for a 4x4 or a 4x2? $32k would be over $3,000 under invoice, which just doesn't make any sense, they'd be loosing money on the vehicle.

Bear in mind too this is a Laredo X with $1,200 worth of options on top of the X package, the sunroof id $800 and the nav is $400.

After all was said and done, They gave me $30K for my ML 350, and sold me the Overland for just over $26k. I owed just over $14k on the ML and I now owe just under $15k for the Jeep. I financed that for 4 years and have a $328.00 payment.

Since this took so long, the estimates came back on the ML for repair and it looks like they still came out about even. The truck repair estimate was $9600.00 plus final settlements.

Overall, I'm happy and think this worked out ok, and I appreciate the dealerships leadership in finding an amicable solution that we both walked away with just a slight pain over this, but none the less we are both over this and can still look each other in the eyes and shake hands.

Nice!

I'm jealous ;)

I have ours all picked out, the dark green color with the black interior, Laredo X model. I got a quote for what seems like a good price...MSRP is $38,285 offer is $33,900. Thats like $1600 below invoice...

Nice! That does sound like a pretty good deal. Do they have one on the lot? Are you looking at a 2011? I ask because the 2012 have a $780 price increase, and they already shut down for the year end change over. So if you see the one you want, you might want to just get it. I would have had to wait 3 to 4 months if I wanted to be stubborn.

I don't know that I buy that Josh...for a 4x4 or a 4x2? $32k would be over $3,000 under invoice, which just doesn't make any sense, they'd be loosing money on the vehicle.

Bear in mind too this is a Laredo X with $1,200 worth of options on top of the X package, the sunroof id $800 and the nav is $400.

The ones I have been seeing are for 2wd models mostly. One guy did get a 4wd for 32 though, but the general trend I am seeing is price point between 31-33k. Jeep is trying to recover from Chrysler's old brand image.

I am just saying, see what they will do for you. I would be willing to bet you get it.

:cheers: Nice Smooth! Hey, you went car shopping, and bought a car! Sort of went to LA from San Fran via Omaha to get it, but it all worked out for everyone!

Wow that looks nice!! The new Cherokee interior looks very "Mercedes-esque", definitely a step up from the previous generations. Good luck with it :cheers:

Yeah, if you only knew just how much so!!! The gauges, the window switches, the chassis, just about the whole "concept" layout is really the same. BUT:

Mercedes does do it better. As much as I like this new Jeep, it really does reinforce just how good Mercedes is. The small things you live with everyday on the MB is just tuned better, thought out more, higher quality, and makes more sense. On the other hand, the new Jeep has the new Uconnect system with Nav, and after getting more familiar with it, while I do still need more time to figure out some of the other menues and screens, I will state for the record, it's the best interactive Navigation system on just about any vehicle I've seen so far. I have the upgraded 730 Alpine head unit, and it simply puts the Mercedes NAv system to shame, and easily beats the Lexus Nav system. That is a good surprise. I wasn't really sure about this feature before.

And.......I love the new panoramic sunroof. That alone makes it worth it. rolleyes.gif

:cheers: Nice Smooth! Hey, you went car shopping, and bought a car! Sort of went to LA from San Fran via Omaha to get it, but it all worked out for everyone!

LOL!! tongue.gif I'm only driving the "beater" car to the dealerships for test drives from now on!

The ones I have been seeing are for 2wd models mostly. One guy did get a 4wd for 32 though, but the general trend I am seeing is price point between 31-33k. Jeep is trying to recover from Chrysler's old brand image.

I am just saying, see what they will do for you. I would be willing to bet you get it.

I mean, it has to make sense. The Jeep optioned the way I want it is $38,285. Invoice is $36.095. Edmunds TMV pricing is $35,937. My offer is $33,974.

$32k on this Jeep would be $4,000 under invoice, thats 11% under dealer cost. I have been on the Jeep forums and I have NEVER heard of anybody getting a deal like that.

WELL...apparently its been a long time since I bought an American car.

The guy I was dealing with *BLEEP*ed me off, so I started looking around at other dealer's inventories and the prices I was getting were all not as good as this guy's price. I got some $37ks...some $36ks, etc.

Then, I get a response from a guy tonight...$32,200. I'll follow up with him tomorrow to be sure its legit, but it looks pretty legit.

So Josh, I stand corrected!

Hey, maybe you can take the Lexus to their parking lot and cry foul, "you hit my car!" and get an even better deal!! chair.gif

Hahahaha! Maybe so!

I've gotten a bunch of internet quotes from different dealers, seems I can match the original deal of just under $34k all over town. I responded to the guy who was at $32k but haven't heard back yet...thats definitely an outlier so I'm skeptical...

Unfortunately the first guy is the only guy that has exactly what I want. He really *BLEEP*ed me off though, kept trying to get me into the dealer instead of answering my simple questions, which as a salesman I understand, finally I just said "Look, this is how I buy cars. Before I set foot in the dealership I'm going to have the price figured out, the financing figured out, the trade figured out, and I'm just going to walk in and sign the paperwork. I'm not going to go and sit at the dealership for 5 hours while all these numbers and options are thrown around and choose one without analyzing it first to decide which way I want to go. If that doesn't work for you, it'll work for somebody." I haven't heard back from him.

I'm tempted to go get this thing this weekend and drive it to the beach ;)

Hahahaha! Maybe so!

I've gotten a bunch of internet quotes from different dealers, seems I can match the original deal of just under $34k all over town. I responded to the guy who was at $32k but haven't heard back yet...thats definitely an outlier so I'm skeptical...

Unfortunately the first guy is the only guy that has exactly what I want. He really *BLEEP*ed me off though, kept trying to get me into the dealer instead of answering my simple questions, which as a salesman I understand, finally I just said "Look, this is how I buy cars. Before I set foot in the dealership I'm going to have the price figured out, the financing figured out, the trade figured out, and I'm just going to walk in and sign the paperwork. I'm not going to go and sit at the dealership for 5 hours while all these numbers and options are thrown around and choose one without analyzing it first to decide which way I want to go. If that doesn't work for you, it'll work for somebody." I haven't heard back from him.

Actually Steve, that's exactly what I would do if I wanted it for sure. These dealerships are just not like dealing with Lexus and Mercedes etc. I could never get a straight answer. If only these auto mfgrs would wake up and realize how many sales they lose in the parking lots and lobbies because they won't just be on the table. I frickin hate the "the price is as much as your willing to pay and as much as I can squeeze out of you" philosophy. All the artificial mark ups, and hidden dealer incentives and so on and so on, how can anyone buy a car, and not be suspicious of being screwed and carrying that feeling with them afterwards? Heck, that's what's probably spawned this whole car forum idea in the first place! So we can check with each other and console each others fears and frustrations! LOL!!

WELL...apparently its been a long time since I bought an American car.

The guy I was dealing with *BLEEP*ed me off, so I started looking around at other dealer's inventories and the prices I was getting were all not as good as this guy's price. I got some $37ks...some $36ks, etc.

Then, I get a response from a guy tonight...$32,200. I'll follow up with him tomorrow to be sure its legit, but it looks pretty legit.

So Josh, I stand corrected!

Chrysler is SO desperate to climb out from under their previous "image" that they are seriously taking a hit on these new models, just to get them moving. The theory is, that once they are out there, and people figure out how much they like them, sale prices can gradually increase back up to profitable margins. A good marketing strategy for sure, especially if you are coming back from the dead with an awful reputation and want to change your image.

Hahahaha! Maybe so!

Actually Steve, that's exactly what I would do if I wanted it for sure. These dealerships are just not like dealing with Lexus and Mercedes etc. I could never get a straight answer. If only these auto mfgrs would wake up and realize how many sales they lose in the parking lots and lobbies because they won't just be on the table. I frickin hate the "the price is as much as your willing to pay and as much as I can squeeze out of you" philosophy. All the artificial mark ups, and hidden dealer incentives and so on and so on, how can anyone buy a car, and not be suspicious of being screwed and carrying that feeling with them afterwards? Heck, that's what's probably spawned this whole car forum idea in the first place! So we can check with each other and console each others fears and frustrations! LOL!!

I would, for sure :) Beats a Prius in everything but gas mileage :P The dealerships are coming along. I have found they are hit or miss. I have been to some that are AMAZING, and helpful. I have also been to a few that were more shady than a late 90's Hyundai dealer.

If the deal is what you want and the car is what you want, I say do it. Thats what I did with my truck. Was it the smartest idea with fuel prices rising? Probably not. But, I NEED a truck. I use it. A car just wasnt cutting it anymore. If you NEED an SUV, or are at the point in your life where you can buy vehicles based off of what you WANT rather than what you need, and you WANT the SUV, the JGCLX is a great choice.

Well...we really don't NEED an SUV lol, really we need to do this whole transaction like we need a hole in the head. But...thats never stopped me before LOL.

Just got a Carmax valuation on the Prius for about $10k, which was better than I expected from them. So we'll see what the Jeep dealer offers me. I'm sure I could sell it myself for $11k or 12k if Carmax is willing to give me $10k.

I think part of the problem is that the salespeople don't know what they're talking about. For instance, the one guy kept saying "Leases are real complicated, come in and I'll explain it to you" even after I told him I've leased several vehicles in the past and am very familiar with leasing. The funniest thing was when I told him that I don't know if I would lease it or buy it, but I wanted to see what the lease option was he says "Quoting these payments is very time consuming, especially when you say you probably won't do it". Um, when did I say I "probably won't do it", and how can I decide if I want to do it if you can't quote me an accurate lease deal?" Moron.

The woman who has the $32,200 price was asked the same question, and she came back with lease payments of $555 which is obviously wrong, and $100 more per month than the estimator at Jeep.com. That would be about what the payment would be to buy it and finance it for 60 months at that price. As opposed to getting into it with her I just asked her for the residual and money factor and I'll calculate it myself. Again, every email she sends she closes with "When can you come in, drive the Jeep and we'll sit down and talk about it?". Every time I tell her "I appreciate that, but since I'm 45 miles away and have already driven the Jeep a dozen times I'd like to know what the options are, and even choose an option before coming in. If I drive 90 miles round trip, its going to be simply to sign the paperwork and drive off, not just to "talk". ...and she's the "Internet sales manager!" shouldn't she understand the Internet consumer? I mean...I basically told both these people if they get me the info I want, I can use that to make a decision, and I'll be down to sign the paperwork. I know the financing option, now I know what my trade is worth, now I need to know the lease option and I'll have all the info I need and can make a decision. So frustrating...

The Lexus salespeople were totally different. I negotiated the deal for the ES350 on my Blackberry while sitting on the beach.

Well...we really don't NEED an SUV lol, really we need to do this whole transaction like we need a hole in the head. But...thats never stopped me before LOL.

Just got a Carmax valuation on the Prius for about $10k, which was better than I expected from them. So we'll see what the Jeep dealer offers me. I'm sure I could sell it myself for $11k or 12k if Carmax is willing to give me $10k.

I think part of the problem is that the salespeople don't know what they're talking about. For instance, the one guy kept saying "Leases are real complicated, come in and I'll explain it to you" even after I told him I've leased several vehicles in the past and am very familiar with leasing. The funniest thing was when I told him that I don't know if I would lease it or buy it, but I wanted to see what the lease option was he says "Quoting these payments is very time consuming, especially when you say you probably won't do it". Um, when did I say I "probably won't do it", and how can I decide if I want to do it if you can't quote me an accurate lease deal?" Moron.

The woman who has the $32,200 price was asked the same question, and she came back with lease payments of $555 which is obviously wrong, and $100 more per month than the estimator at Jeep.com. That would be about what the payment would be to buy it and finance it for 60 months at that price. As opposed to getting into it with her I just asked her for the residual and money factor and I'll calculate it myself. Again, every email she sends she closes with "When can you come in, drive the Jeep and we'll sit down and talk about it?". Every time I tell her "I appreciate that, but since I'm 45 miles away and have already driven the Jeep a dozen times I'd like to know what the options are, and even choose an option before coming in. If I drive 90 miles round trip, its going to be simply to sign the paperwork and drive off, not just to "talk". ...and she's the "Internet sales manager!" shouldn't she understand the Internet consumer? I mean...I basically told both these people if they get me the info I want, I can use that to make a decision, and I'll be down to sign the paperwork. I know the financing option, now I know what my trade is worth, now I need to know the lease option and I'll have all the info I need and can make a decision. So frustrating...

The Lexus salespeople were totally different. I negotiated the deal for the ES350 on my Blackberry while sitting on the beach.

Exactly!! All they had to do when I bought the IS 350 was have them verify my trade was everything I said it was. Once they inspected my trade, I was in an office signing all the paperwork on the deal we worked out via email and phone calls. I met my salesperson for the first time 10 minutes before the final test drive of the actual car I was going to be taking home that day. Very smooth, very polite, very respectful, very service driven. That was by far the best new car purchase experience of all the cars I've purchased.

I also buy all my cars, and even my Harley like this... Point blank here is the car I want do you have it, this is the price I want it for, here is my credit card for the down payment, once you send me the paperwork to review and financing terms.

Bought my X5, rx330, cvo deuce, and my GX460 this way. Last time I went to a dealer to get a car was the Mercedes for my wife and even then I knew what I was going to pay. That was a lease...and I was dealing with my wife, a trade, and the car dealer!

So I figured out what she was calculating incorrectly, she sent me the specifics, the special Jeep lease is a 45% residual, and a .75% interest rate. Well, if you plug those figures with an MSRP of $38,285 and a sales price of $32,200 into a lease calculator you get $460. But...she's coming up with $555. She must be calculating the residual off the sales price not the MSRP, when you put those figures into the calculator you get what she's talking about.

So I send her an email saying "I see where we're apart" and I lay out all the numbers for her, the MSRP, the capitalized cost, the residual value, the finance charges on the depreciation, and how it arrives at my figure of $460, not her figure of $555. Then I explain how she must have calculated the lease using the residual off of the capitalized cost.

Then at the end I closed by saying that I did go get a Carmax appraisal on our Prius and that we're very close to having all the information we need to make a decision and go forward.

So...she emails me back this morning and says "I got your email, I wasn't taking your trade into account in the figures I quoted you, please come by the dealer and we can look over everything"

DID YOU LOOK AT THE NUMBERS IN MY EMAIL?!? Nowhere did I say anything about any trade except at the end that I had a valuation done. Now she's thinking the reason my lease is lower than her calculation is because of my trade...How can you sell cars and not know approximately what the lease and finance payments are going to be?!? How can she not see that $555 per month at that price for a lease doesn't make any sense?!? Is she stupid? Why doesn't she just use a lease calculator?

And...like I told her 4 times I live 50 MILES from the dealer. I'm not going to come in unless I'm coming in to drive off with the vehicle.

Jesus...it has me about ready to can the whole thing. They open at noon, I'm going to call her today and see if maybe we can get on the same page over the phone.

Well...so much for that.

I finally figured out what the issue with these payments is. One, the car she quoted me on and the car she has are different, the car I want has an MSRP of $38,285, and thats what I was quoted, here is the email:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Comfortably Equipped

Laredo 4dr 4x4

(Manufacturer Code WKJH74)

MSRP: $38,285

Ourisman Chrysler Jeep Dodge's Price: $33,789

Manufacturer Rebate: ($1,000)

Your Final Price: $32,789*

In addition to that we qualify for a $500 rebate because my wife is enrolled in a graduate program, so the final price would be $32,289 right?

This is what the asterisk next to the price reads:

*Your price quote is valid for 7 days and does not include Dealer Installed Accessories, State Tax, Tags, Destination and Processing Fees. We reserve the right to modify this quote to correct arithmetic errors. Incentive and pricing programs are subject to change by the Manufacturer without notice. Vehicles contained in this quote are subject to availability.

The car she actually has is $38,985 and has more equipment. And get this, that "Manufacturer's Rebate" is a military rebate that obviously I don't qualify for. Now...what in this price quote or the fine print would lead me to believe that was a military rebate?

So I told her that I thought that was a little bit below board, obviously the goal of that email quote is to get the buyer into HER dealership and once there you can shoehorn them into whatever you do have in stock, and once they're there in the office, you can explain the $1k rebate is a military rebate and pressure them to sign anyways.

And to top it off, she's rude, curt, unapologetic...no customer service at all.

Truthfully, its soured me on the whole thing, I think I'm just going to shelve it.

So I told her that I thought that was a little bit below board, obviously the goal of that email quote is to get the buyer into HER dealership and once there you can shoehorn them into whatever you do have in stock, and once they're there in the office, you can explain the $1k rebate is a military rebate and pressure them to sign anyways.

Truthfully, its soured me on the whole thing, I think I'm just going to shelve it.

Same thing happened when I was looking to buy a Yukon Denali! The f---ing dealer or "Internet sales manager" lied his !Removed! off. To be honest I wasn't sure if I even wanted it but when I emailed about it I couldn't get a straight answer on anything. Then he twisted the payments quoted me monthly payments for a 6 yr loan when they were supposed to be on a 5 year loan. So anyway after I flat out Told him what I would pay for the suv... I was about 1,500 off of what he had quoted me. He emailed me back saying that the GM red tag sales event price is the best price that I can offer you which I have already given you. So I decided not not to get it and after about a month decided on the rx330 that was my first LEXUS! I don't get it either it just seemed like this guy didn't care if I bought the Yukon or not? My sister had bought a car from the same dealer too. Whatever...I am so glad that they didn't want my business!

My wife Loves the new grand cherokees too...I don't know they look great but I want to see how the hold up. I have had 2 jeeps and I also during high school detailed cars at a jeep dealer. Wow I couldn't believe the problems with the new cars...but I still bought 2 and had to learn for myself.

Congrats Smooth! I've heard not so good things about Jeeps in the past but the way Chrysler is going these days it sounds like this new one will last you a good long time, I myself have been impressed with the work they are doing so far.

It seems that all American brand dealerships have extremely rude salespeople. Just yesterday I was at our Cadillac dealer looking at the CTS-V Coupe (I'm thinking of going back down to one car...) The salesperson took me inside where the had the perfect one, fully loaded, red with black interior, the works. I looked it over and fell in love with it, and I never thought I would with an American car. I asked him if there was one around that I could test drive and he goes on about how they don't let people test drive the V models which I understand they say that right away so that people who really aren't interested can't go joy riding without an intent to purchase. So I go into his office, give him the payoffs on my cars work the whole deal and then I said well I think we're close to where I want to be but I do want to do a test drive before I finalize the deal and he goes off and says "What the heck difference does it make if you test drive it or not!?" I was well taken back by this statement, I told him to take his car and shove it. Our BMW dealer let me test drive the M3 and Mercedes let me test the C63 both of which cost more.

Also I think I've told this story here before but at one point I was looking at a Mustang and once I told the guy I drove a Lexus all he could do is ride me for driving a foreign car! I couldn't believe that, I was there to buy "American" and he was going to criticize me for what I already had.

To end the first story I put in my offer on the C63 and I'm waiting to hear back, and BMW is locating an M3 for me to work with but they are becoming few and far between.

Also I think I've told this story here before but at one point I was looking at a Mustang and once I told the guy I drove a Lexus all he could do is ride me for driving a foreign car! I couldn't believe that, I was there to buy "American" and he was going to criticize me for what I already had.

A Ford dealer did the same thing to me not that long ago when I test drove a new Explorer, he actually said to me "shame on you". Unbelievable huh?