Suspension Repairs 1991 Ls400

wyoherbty

I have a 1991 Lexus LS400 with 271K miles on it. It needs new driver's side upper control arm and 2 new rear spindle bushings or rear spindles. I have several questions:

1. Is there an immediate safety issue with driving the car, mostly in town lower speeds?

2. Can anyone suggest internet sources where I can buy parts?

3. How many labor hours are required to replace these parts?

4. Also any recommended sources to buy new hood lifts cheaply?

Thanks very much!

1. Is there an immediate safety issue with driving the car, mostly in town lower speeds?

Providing the upper ball joint doesn't come out of the arm completely which would result in the wheel folding under the car you should be OK in the short term although handling and braking mayl be affected. Replace as soon as possible.

Try looking on ebay.com if you want OEM try Sewell Lexus or otherwise try Google.com

No more than 2 hours per side

Ebay.com

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=lexus+ls400+hood+struts&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Please use the search facility for more specific information.

A good resource is www.lexls.com/tutorials

Thank you! ... for the number of hours, is that for the rear spindle bushings? how about the upper control arm?

Providing the upper ball joint doesn't come out of the arm completely which would result in the wheel folding under the car you should be OK in the short term although handling and braking mayl be affected. Replace as soon as possible.

Try looking on ebay.com if you want OEM try Sewell Lexus or otherwise try Google.com

Ebay.com

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=lexus+ls400+hood+struts&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this advice, I just have both upper ball joints replaced at 354k miles. (I had the UCA bushings replaced at 200+k miles, but the ball joints are still original since 1990). After the replacement, I don't have any clanking noise at left wheel when steering to the right at 30mph or faster.

Thanks Steve2006.

Ebay.com