94 Ls Cigarette Lighters Ng

Larry W

I have a 1994 LS 400 with 112,000 miles. I use a Garmin GPS daily to navigate around parts of town. Just the other day I noticed the front lighter was

not working. I switched to the rear and it also was not functioning. I pulled the cover off of the fuse panel and checked the fuse and it was OK.

Any suggestions of where to look next? I don't smoke so I really only need it to power up the GPS. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jim:

Do I have to remove the shifter cover on my 94 LS or is the link behind the ashtray? If so, any tips on how to remove the ashtray?

I'm sure its something simple, but I'm not seeing it yet. Thanks.

Here is a thread on Clublexus with a link to info on how to remove the ashtray assembly: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/488111-ls-cigarette-lighter-fix-tutorial.html

I've never done this fix myself so I can't provide much information. But I have removed the ashtray assembly many times on a gen 1 (1990) LS400 and can tell you that it is very easy to do - literally can do it in about a minute.

Jim:

I just pulled the shifter cover off and got the ash tray out (no problem). Emptied ash tray (of 50 coins) and flipped it over and saw the (2)connections attached to my cigarette lighter. I removed the nut and the plastic washer between them and tightened it down. Plugged in the lighter and nothing. Tried the GPS and nothing....now scratching head. Thought I had it fixed....oh well...thanks for your assistance...any suggestions? Checking fuse box in a minute (again).

Have you used a test light to see if power is making it to the lighter socket connector? ... a basic unpowered test light like the one in the attached photo - a couple of bucks at a discount store.

post-2157-0-86110400-1307897908_thumb.jp