Self Installed Side Door Moldings

Those look nice! :cheers: I don't like how Lexus left them out on the 2010+ RX's, they definitely look better with them! The factory naked doors are just BEGGING for door dings.

For anyone looking for Lexus accessories try this site...Directions are at the bottom of most pages..

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/index.php#

post-124838-0-31402400-1307755432_thumb.post-124838-0-99316600-1307755448_thumb.post-124838-0-91655900-1307755461_thumb.

installed these moldings myself..as per previous post..

where did you buy the molding and do they come in various colours

• 3 months later...

HELP PLZ! Have bought the side Mouldings for my new 2011 RX350. It is a Calif. car, and (arrggh!) has WATER BASED paint. To clean the surfaces for installing the mouldings, only '3M Prep-Solvent 70' is recommended [also a 'water based product]. Can't find the 3M locally, and to purchase thru mail order, the costs for a gallon are ugly, especially shipping. Any other recommendations or help here? Could I [safely] use a non-water solvent, say a petroleum based product?

HELP PLZ! Have bought the side Mouldings for my new 2011 RX350. It is a Calif. car, and (arrggh!) has WATER BASED paint. To clean the surfaces for installing the mouldings, only '3M Prep-Solvent 70' is recommended [also a 'water based product]. Can't find the 3M locally, and to purchase thru mail order, the costs for a gallon are ugly, especially shipping. Any other recommendations or help here? Could I [safely] use a non-water solvent, say a petroleum based product?

I bought them for $ 100 including shipping and installed it myself. Just washed the area with soap to remove any dirt. Did not use any solvent nor used any roller. The moulding comes with a sticky tape. Removed the tape and just pressed it evenly from one side to the other. Check my photos. It took only 20 minutes to install.

post-132697-0-58956500-1316564654_thumb.

post-132697-0-13909400-1316564664_thumb.

post-132697-0-94444400-1316564672_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this is exactly what I bough with discounts, i think i'm saving like 130$ total with this order.

Item Description Unit Price Quantity Line total

All-Weather Floor Mats: 4-Piece-4-Piece mat set (Black)

PT9084810202

$91.50 1 $91.50

All Weather Cargo Mat-Rear Cargo Mat (Black, shown)

PT9084810102

$74.42 1 $74.42

Body Side Moldings-077 Starfire Pearl Body Side Moldings

PT29A4811110

$97.60 1 $97.60

Mudguard Set-Mudguard Set (4 guards)

PT76948100

$56.12 1 $56.12

Subtotal: $319.64

Tax: $0.00

Ground Delivery: $35.64

Grand Total: $355.28

• 1 month later...

I bought them for $ 100 including shipping and installed it myself. Just washed the area with soap to remove any dirt. Did not use any solvent nor used any roller. The moulding comes with a sticky tape. Removed the tape and just pressed it evenly from one side to the other. Check my photos. It took only 20 minutes to install.

Where did you get such a good price, or anyone have the discount code for Sewell?

Where did you get such a good price, or anyone have the discount code for Sewell?

When you sign up for Sewell parts online, it will ask you if you belong to any online Lexus club, just mention Lexusownersclub and you will get a discount. I believe the side molding comes out to just under $100 with the discount.

• 1 month later...

I have just installed the molding on my RX270 (a 3rd gen RX sub model available in many countries but not in North America). I do not have the 3M solution as well so I just used regular alcohol I bought from the pharmacy. I believe it is able to remove the layer of wax just as effectively because the molding sticks on my paintwork like super glue. I recall watching a Youtube video of someone fixing the molding on his LS and he used rubbing alcohol to prep the surface.

Once the molding is in place, I applied some wax on the molding and the surrounding paintwork that was earlier stripped of wax by the alcohol.

I like the look of my car with the side molding so much better than the original bare look. Gives me peace of mind when I park my car next to another.

2727.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...