hardhat

Battery Warning Light And Headlight Leveling Light On Please Help

2000 Lexus LS400 with 126k miles. Has been very reliable. Went on vacation 4 hours from home and noticed that battery was weak. Would start slowly. After it got running, it was fine. I did notice a few weeks ago that the battery got weak while sitting idling for a long duration (radio quit working), but perked back up when driving. I thought the battery going bad. Put a new one in. Everything fine for 2 weeks. Then today the headlight leveling warning came on and the battery light came on. I have not driven the car enough to tell what is going to happen. Is it a headlight leveling motor shorted out draining the battery? Dead alternator that has been gradually going bad?

Thanks,

Larry

Sounds like alternator isn't charging enough. Measure battery voltage on battery terminals with engine running and several items switched on (headlights, foglights, AC blower, rear window defogger, tunes and so on). If its below 13.3V you have issues.

Sounds like alternator isn't charging enough. Measure battery voltage on battery terminals with engine running and several items switched on (headlights, foglights, AC blower, rear window defogger, tunes and so on). If its below 13.3V you have issues.

Agreed. And is the 2000 susceptible to a leaky power steering unit as are the earlier models?

Agreed. And is the 2000 susceptible to a leaky power steering unit as are the earlier models?

I don't think so- I think this is the reason the fluid reservoir was no longer mounted directly on top of the power steering pump on the 98-00 LS.

Car runs out of power shortly after these lights come on, so be careful.

On 6/10/2011 at 11:39 AM, curiousB said:

Agreed - chack the alternator.

This is an old thread. Who is actually having problem and does need help?