Hit And Run...great.

ArmyofOne

So I am in the gym...getting my sexy on. I come out and find a softball sized dent (no crease, weird) in my chrome rear bumper. I look at the tires of the truck and they have slid across the loose gravel about a foot. Someone hit me, HARD. No note, no insurance info, nothing.

Really REALLY ticked right now. My insurance wont cover it. $500 deductible on collision, new bumper is $330. All my other deductibles are at 0. Funny how the only one I forgot to change is the one I need right now.:sad:

A real gold plated bummer!! Seems like people don't want to take responsibility for their actions anymore. Hope you can work something out on the replacement cost.

Paul

Damage:

100_1268.JPG

100_1269.JPG

Dont mind the corona PJ pants. I bust my !Removed! for a living, so when its time to relax, I RELAX. LOL. I am going to attempt a "Make it look a little better" fix that involves removal of the bumper, a 2x4 and a dead blow hammer...It may not be perfect, but at least it will be better.

It shouldn't be a collision claim Josh, it should be a comprehensive or uninsured motorist claim since it was a hit and run.

Get it fixed...the truck is important to you and trying to bang it out with that chrome is going to make it worse...

It shouldn't be a collision claim Josh, it should be a comprehensive or uninsured motorist claim since it was a hit and run.

Get it fixed...the truck is important to you and trying to bang it out with that chrome is going to make it worse...

SW beat me to it! If it is a hit and rum should be a UM claim. Also file a police report. I hate parking lots! By chance does the gym have security cameras? If so ask for the footage.

Oh, you think someone would leave a note today? Josh...you just wouldn't believe how many people come into my office right after s situation like yours. People have no respect for others property and it is SAD!

Take care bud!

Thats what I was thinking it should be a comprehensive claim. But the insurance co says no, its collision. I am not sure how it cant be claimed under comprehensive...

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but maybe that can be popped out from the other side if you took the bumper off. The chrome might crack, might not. You could also just cover it with bumper protectors on each side. And as I'm thinking about it, 350 for a new bumper isn't bad. Just think what that would look like if it were a plastic bumper cover like 99% of the vehicles on the road today! They moved your truck a foot and only left that behind?? Good bumpers.

Sucks that it happened though. That's people for ya. They are probably just *BLEEP*ed that their car is dented!

It Is not a comp loss but a not at fault or a uninsured motorist claim. Comp is for acts of nature, vandalism, glass, etc but not um claims. Not sure about your state but most states have a specific UM deductible in MD for example is 250. Some companies require that you do report it to the police.

I had exactly the same thing happen to the Prius in the same spot, it was an uninsured motorist claim. If they're telling you its a collision clam then they're telling you they don't believe it happened the way you said it did...

Thats what I am thinking Steve. I will call them again monday (I have the appointment friday) and see what they say about that. I have no real intention of claiming it now. I will get a new bumper if I cant fix it. But now this has me questioning my insurance co.

josh you are in the Army, switch to USAA for military members...My son says they always treat him right....

USAA can be Extremely overpriced in my area. I can just about cut their rates in half for preferred clients. I do think they are a good company though. Honestly the best thing someone can do is contact a independent agent that can compare multiple carriers and then can continue to manage the policy for you...recommend changes, notify you of new discounts...you need someone an agent that "wants" your business and they will earn it! And in a situation like this they could have answered these questions rather than you calling a 800 # and then have to call back to find out why it isn't a um. Josh I could be wrong but I don't think all states require UM Property Damage which is what you have so it could be why it is going as a collision. It will show as a not at fault! By the way you are making a good decision paying out of pocket since it is such a small claim.

Good luck bud!

I had them, they never treated me right. Geico was half of what they were charging me. For full coverage on 2 cars, I was paying $2,472 every 6 months at 21 years old, with Bare minimums and $1,000 deductibles.

When I finally switched to geico, the premium went down and the coverage went up to well above state minimums, deductibles went to $500 and the price dropped to $1105 every 6 months. Still Expensive, but not at all unreasonable for a young driver with 2 cars, full coverage, and 3 tickets and one at fault accident under his belt at the time.

At the time I switched, I told the Regional Manager of USAA he had 36 hours to figure out why there was over a $2,000 difference between his quote and Geico's, or he could *BLEEP* off. I had been fighting with them about it for nearly 5 months. He called me back and told me there was nothing he could do, it was what it was. I said "OK, I will call you back in an hour to cancel my policy". I called geico, started mine up, and never looked back.

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/underinsured-motorist-property-damage-coverage.php

This may answer some questions. Also Josh I know saving money is good but Geico sucks find someone who will take care of you. There is a big investigation into Geico now for deceptive sales practices. It wouldn't suprise me at all if they had you waive your UM PD coverage if it was available.

Everyone else wants $170 a month or more to ensure my truck. I just got off the phone with 21st century, and travelers tonight. Both wanted around $170 for the same coverage I have now. Geico charges 60 a month for $0 deductibles (except collision) UM, and 100/300/100 coverage. I now have a clean driving record, but for some reason, EVERY quote I get is $170 a month or more for this truck. I am sorry, but $800+ every 6 months for insurance is kind of rediculous...especially with a driving record thats been clean for 5+ years and never having a claim.

Yeah I would never, ever consider getting insurance through Geico...

I mean...yeah its cheaper but what happens if you have a claim? Well, we know what happens because its happening to you right now.

Everyone else wants $170 a month or more to ensure my truck. I just got off the phone with 21st century, and travelers tonight. Both wanted around $170 for the same coverage I have now. Geico charges 60 a month for $0 deductibles (except collision) UM, and 100/300/100 coverage. I now have a clean driving record, but for some reason, EVERY quote I get is $170 a month or more for this truck. I am sorry, but $800+ every 6 months for insurance is kind of rediculous...especially with a driving record thats been clean for 5+ years and never having a claim.

I understand exactly what your saying. And having just gone through a change in carriers myself because I did have some claims, I would be just that much more cautious about what seems to be a too good to be true rate with Gieco. Particularly since you say you have never had a claim and we all know what happens after you file a claim.

Any girl looks good at midnight. Better to dance with the one you trust.

I wish you lived in MD, DE, or VA...it is rare if I can't beat Geico. I don't blame you if there is that much difference on a apples to apples quote but I think you would be much better off to hand your policy to a Indy agent and let them look around for you. I have over 17 carriers I have access to. The 100/300 is good are your UM 100/300 too? Geico is famous for giving you lower UM coverage. Also just wondering did you find out does your state offer UM property damage?

I wish you lived in MD, DE, or VA...it is rare if I can't beat Geico. I don't blame you if there is that much difference on a apples to apples quote but I think you would be much better off to hand your policy to a Indy agent and let them look around for you. I have over 17 carriers I have access to. The 100/300 is good are your UM 100/300 too? Geico is famous for giving you lower UM coverage. Also just wondering did you find out does your state offer UM property damage?

By my watch Lexir, it was 4:38 a.m. when you wrote the above. Question is, were you just getting home from the bars or do you always get up that early? LOL!!

100/300/100on all coverage, UM is 50 IIRC. I have dealt with geico in the past on claims, just never one that was my fault, they have always been fantastic, thats why I dont understand why you all hate them so much. Its not that Geico's rate is too good to be true, as much as it is everyone else is on CRACK to think I would/should pay nearly $200 a month for auto insurance on ONE VEHICLE. Especially when I have never had an at fault claim or a speeding ticket.

FWIW, Geico's adjuster has the damage to my truck at $607.50. I think i am just going to drive it like it is for awhile, see if someone else smacks it harder.

By my watch Lexir, it was 4:38 a.m. when you wrote the above. Question is, were you just getting home from the bars or do you always get up that early? LOL!!

No bars...it was actually 5:38 a.m. I just don't sleep a whole lot. Got a 2 and 4 yr old! :cries:

100/300/100on all coverage, UM is 50 IIRC. I have dealt with geico in the past on claims, just never one that was my fault, they have always been fantastic, thats why I dont understand why you all hate them so much. Its not that Geico's rate is too good to be true, as much as it is everyone else is on CRACK to think I would/should pay nearly $200 a month for auto insurance on ONE VEHICLE. Especially when I have never had an at fault claim or a speeding ticket.

FWIW, Geico's adjuster has the damage to my truck at $607.50. I think i am just going to drive it like it is for awhile, see if someone else smacks it harder.

Josh...

I deal with quite a few claims on a regular basis. It has nothing to do with hating them...it is the fact that when people find out about the coverage they were told they have or that they had on their previous policy it's to late. I just had a girl come in my office that had been with them for 5 yrs no claims, tickets nothing. She called to make her payment and they told her that her policy canceled. She asked how I made my payment over the phone last month...oh it was your renewal and your rate had went up and you paid your old monthly payment which was less than the min amount due. She said well I never got a call or anything...we emailed you...guess what we can reinstate with a lapse in coverage. Double your rate! I saved her more with a lapse then what she was paying...with PIP, and double the coverages.

Josh there are horrible stories about every company out there...I can choose who I want to issue business with. I have got rid of carriers for poor claims service before...but when it comes to problems you just wouldn't imagine some of the things that I have seen that they have done. Take a look at this... http://ifawebnews.com/2010/10/26/geico-accused-of-‘deceptively-selling’-auto-insurance-policies/

Well, look on the bright side- it's only a metal bumper! <_< If that happened with any other car with a painted plastic bumper, you'd be looking at MUCH higher repair costs, as well as several panels with paint and blend work, which wouldn't match and cause you even more headaches... :wacko:

I had someone "bump me" and run while i was parallel parked (i had no idea until i came out and noticed it) and got two "holes" from their license plate and a nice scrape. Had to get a new bumper and have it repainted, and $800 later i could still "tell" something was done.

I'll take a durable metal bumper!