Abs, Vsc Trac, Vsc Off And Brake Light All On

kmammas

I was just driving my car and all of a sudden there was a sound right behind the dash board. I opened the hood and saw that the sound is coming from a gold colored canister next to the brake fluid right up against the dash. Then after a little while, the abs, vcs trac, vsc off and brake lights all came on. Also an alarm continually sounds. When I called my dealer, I was told that I could not bring the car in until tomorrow. The told me if the brakes are working, which they are, I could still drive the car. The dealer is about one hour away from me. Does anyone know what the problem is and if indeed it is safe to drive. Thanks

I was just driving my car and all of a sudden there was a sound right behind the dash board. I opened the hood and saw that the sound is coming from a gold colored canister next to the brake fluid right up against the dash. Then after a little while, the abs, vcs trac, vsc off and brake lights all came on. Also an alarm continually sounds. When I called my dealer, I was told that I could not bring the car in until tomorrow. The told me if the brakes are working, which they are, I could still drive the car. The dealer is about one hour away from me. Does anyone know what the problem is and if indeed it is safe to drive. Thanks

You shouldn't worry about driving your vehicle. If your brakes are working, iow, when you press the brake pedal, the vehicle slows down and comes to a stop, then you are fine. I have already pulled out the fuse(s) to disable the abs as well as other systems associated with it because I wanted to drive without abs (trac & vsc) for a while. A nice thing of not having abs on the vehicle is that when you press the pedal, it really, really stops! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

You shouldn't worry about driving your vehicle. If your brakes are working, iow, when you press the brake pedal, the vehicle slows down and comes to a stop, then you are fine. I have already pulled out the fuse(s) to disable the abs as well as other systems associated with it because I wanted to drive without abs (trac & vsc) for a while. A nice thing of not having abs on the vehicle is that when you press the pedal, it really, really stops! ;)

One thing worth mentioning is that, at least on the LX not sure about the RX, the TRAC system is a major part of the four wheel drive system. The center differential, which can be locked or unlocked via a switch on the dash, is a limited slip differential, but the front and rear differentials are open diffs. With an open differential, both wheels only have as much torque as the wheel that has the least torque. This means that if one of the front or rear wheels slip, the other wheel suddenly has no power to work with. The TRAC system counters this by applying the brakes to the slipping wheels, restoring torque until traction is gained. With these fuses or relays pulled, you have greatly decreased the four wheel drive capability of the vehicle. That said, driving without these in place should be fine, just be aware that you do not have ABS, so your wheels can lock if you hit the brakes hard, you do not have the traction system mentioned above, and you do not have the Vehicle Skid Control. All of these systems are related to the brakes, so give yourself extra room to stop in the event that you lose power brakes. You can still stop, but it'll take some work since your truck is heavy.