Rear Suspension Bottoms Out

gnhumad

In recent months, I have noticed that my 2005 GX470 no KDS (62000 miles)rear suspension bottoms out going over certain road humps and even slowly traversing speed bumps. I am guessing that either the air shocks or air bags or both are weak. Has anyone experienced similar and come up with a fix? I have noticed that there are passive coils and shocks available for this truck, but I hesitate to go that route because of ride concerns. Does anyone have experience with these aftermarket choices?

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with your rear suspension is most likely either or both rear height control sensors. If you don't have access to a scan tool, you can try this-Does the height control work at all? IE Can you raise the vehicle with the height control switch? If so, the concern is most likely the sensor(s). If not, you may have a leak in the rear air bags. Look under the vehicle and see if the rubber stoppers are sitting on the rear diff. tube. Also, listen for the pump to be running near the rear wheel. If the pump is running but the vehicle won't raise, you probably have a leak in the rear air bags. I would advise against using aftermarket springs/shocks as this will greatly detract from the value of your vehicle. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

In recent months, I have noticed that my 2005 GX470 no KDS (62000 miles)rear suspension bottoms out going over certain road humps and even slowly traversing speed bumps. I am guessing that either the air shocks or air bags or both are weak. Has anyone experienced similar and come up with a fix? I have noticed that there are passive coils and shocks available for this truck, but I hesitate to go that route because of ride concerns. Does anyone have experience with these aftermarket choices?