Steering Wheel Rocking

Mike523

Hi,

The steering wheel moves or rotates left and right rapidly.

Only felt while driving straight and most notiably 25-35 mph.

It’s not enough for a passenger to feel or really even the driver, except the drivers hands are on the wheel. It does move enough to see though.

I’m also losing power steering fluid. I rebuilt the power steering pump a few years ago. I was losing fluid back then, the rebuild fixed that.

Now I have a leak at the rack, specifically out the seal directly below the u-joint from the steering column.

I turned the rotors, new brake pads and had the tires balanced. At first I thought this reduced the problem with the rocking steering wheel, but no. After doing this work, the car is pulling to the right now.:wacko:

QUESTION – Can something failing in the power steering system cause the steering wheel to move like this?

Also, how difficult is it to rebuild the rack/valve assembly?

Thanks in advance!!

Mike

Check your lower ball joints and strut rods.

JPI

JPI

How do I check the ball joint and strut.

When the car is up and the wheels are free, I can't feel any play when grabing the tire with both hands. In & out, right, left, up or down. Hopefully you understand what I'm try to say.

Do you think I have separate problems? Leaking rack & steering wheel woble.

Thanks!

Mike

I spoke with a Lexus person today. After speaking with him I have a feeling that fluid is leaking at the valves inside the assembly along with the leak that is visible.

At first I was going to rebuild the gear assembly, but Dan had a good point that the next week link will give out.

I'm going to replace the whole rack, hose and pump. About $600

Also, I checked the lower ball joints specs say .012in, I have .030 - .034. Dan at Lexus thought that doesn't warrant a change yet.

What have you expericed with the ball joints?

I'll post when I figure out the wobble.

Mike