Ticking/knocking Noise

9ES3008

There has been a small ticking noise that sounds close to under the valve cover for about a year n a half now. It wasnt anything serious so I left it like that constantly checking the oil and no lights ever came on. Lasy night I was driving and at first felt like it was losing power, the ticking became a knocking noise and the low oil pressure light came on. I was luckily 5min's from the house do I got home n just left it there. This morning I checked it a little I turned it on and the loud knocking noise stopped n turned back to the little ticking noise after about 5 seconds of being on. Also the low oil pressure was not on. I had it n park and when I gave it a little gas I could hear the knocing I put it n reverse,neutral, or drive and the knocking stays on really loud and the light comes back on. I know its something pretty bad but I would like no know if anyone has had the same problem before I spend my time n money even fixing it.