Price Of Gas

Brian900

I am a new member and would apprecite opinions on octane requirement for the follow vehicles. I have read elsewhere that premimum is recommended but may not be necessary. The high prices are driving me nuts.

2002 LS 430

2005 ES 330

1999 GS 300

2008 GX 470

Thanks much

You can find fuel economy and gasoline specifications for all these cars at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/findacar.htm

For older cars, the fuel economy figures have been adjusted downward to more closely resemble real world experiences and usually are lower than the original gas mileage ratings.

As far as I am concerned, the difference between the price of premium and regular gasoline is a "nit" -- been averaging 20 cents for quite a few years which is currently only about 5%. Fuel costs seem awfully minor compared to the overall cost of owning a Lexus.

You can find fuel economy and gasoline specifications for all these cars at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/findacar.htm

For older cars, the fuel economy figures have been adjusted downward to more closely resemble real world experiences and usually are lower than the original gas mileage ratings.

As far as I am concerned, the difference between the price of premium and regular gasoline is a "nit" -- been averaging 20 cents for quite a few years which is currently only about 5%. Fuel costs seem awfully minor compared to the overall cost of owning a Lexus.

My sentiments exactly.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Price of Chevron premium today in San Jose is $4.139

That's $1.09/litre for our metric friends. Over here in Ontario (Canada) it is $1.40/litre ($5.29/US gallon). Regular is $1.23/litre ($4.65/US gallon). You only get better acceleration, as well as slightly better mileage on highway with Premium. Regular is fine, unless you have a turbo, in which case Premium is better suited. Just my opinion.

P.S. IMO, the type of oil one uses is a thousand times more important than the type of fuel.

Oh no here comes another fuel/octane debate! :cries:

All I know is when I spend over 60k on a suv and the gas cap and owners manual says min 91 octane I am going to put min 91 octane in it unless I can't! My wife kills me every once in a bluemoon she will fill up her x5...like maybe once this year... :) she knows I always use premium and she will get the mid grade. I am always like wow you saved a whole $4.50 or so.

In the owner's manual of my 2009 RX350, it says in order to have 'optimum' performance, you need premium fuel. Given I tried regular versus premium in basically all of the cars I have owned, my observations are what I wrote above. I agree Premium will give you better 'performance' under certain conditions, but using regular will not harm your engine.

To me, it is not just a matter of money, it is more a matter of, is it really needed? In my opinion, no. But each one of us has a different point of view, so no point arguing that one point of view is better than another. We live different parallel lives with different experiences and the decisions we make reflect that fact.

And I might add, that discussing regular versus premium is akin to discussing blondes versus brunettes. ;) Though I'm sure it would be more pleasant :)

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot what the topic was....

Oh yes, price of gas. Since most of us have a Lexus with premium being recommended, Chevron premium this morning was $4.05 in San Jose.