Removing The Rear Tailgate Panel .

mandm6

Hi,I'm new to this site and not even sure this is where to post this but here go's.

Just purchased a 2004 Lexus Rx330 with 39,000 miles on it. The left inside tail light

is out and I was wondering if you need a special tool to remove the tailgate panel

to get to it. I pulled down on it and feels very tight and I do not want to break

any clips if thats what's holding it. Also the previous owner said I might want to

replace the filter under the glove box? Have no idea at all what he's talking about

there. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

The tailgate has two interior panels, one above the other. To remove the top one (adjacent to the glass) you need to remove the lower one first. To remove the lower one, pry it off starting at a corner with a flat-head screwdriver. There are only 5 or so clips holding it to the tailgate. Don't worry about being gentle, you won't break anything- just be sure to wrap masking tape around the tip of the screwdriver as to not scrape the paint off the tailgate. Once you've pulled the panel off of the tailgate, you can remove the top panel, which is also held on with only clips. Start pulling from the bottom and it'll come right off.

To put the panels back, put the top panel on first-, then the lower panel.

Good luck! This may sound complicated but it's really not... it's just hard to put it in words. :cheers:

The tailgate has two interior panels, one above the other. To remove the top one (adjacent to the glass) you need to remove the lower one first. To remove the lower one, pry it off starting at a corner with a flat-head screwdriver. There are only 5 or so clips holding it to the tailgate. Don't worry about being gentle, you won't break anything- just be sure to wrap masking tape around the tip of the screwdriver as to not scrape the paint off the tailgate. Once you've pulled the panel off of the tailgate, you can remove the top panel, which is also held on with only clips. Start pulling from the bottom and it'll come right off.

Good luck! This may sound complicated but it's really not... it's just hard to put it in words. :cheers:

Thanks! It was a go on removing the panels to replace the bulb. Do you have any idea what filter he was talking about

under the glove box? Think he said it had something to do with the AC. Went from a 94 ford explorer to this

lexus and it seems like a whole different ballgame. Thanks, Kevin

Ah yes, the cabin air filter. It filters the air in the AC/heater so when you have it set to recirculate it will filter the inside air, and when you have it set to outside air it will trap pollen and such. I replace mine every 6 months or so.

See here, and jump to pg 6/11 to see detailed pics on how to remove the cabin air filter for the 04-09 Rx330/350/400h.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Replacing%20the%20Lexus%20intake%20air%20filter%20and%20cabin.pdf

The cabin air filters are pretty expensive from the dealer, so i get mine from ebay. They're 100% identical at about 1/4 the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130507181168&viewitem=

Ah yes, the cabin air filter. It filters the air in the AC/heater so when you have it set to recirculate it will filter the inside air, and when you have it set to outside air it will trap pollen and such. I replace mine every 6 months or so.

See here, and jump to pg 6/11 to see detailed pics on how to remove the cabin air filter for the 04-09 Rx330/350/400h.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Replacing%20the%20Lexus%20intake%20air%20filter%20and%20cabin.pdf

The cabin air filters are pretty expensive from the dealer, so i get mine from ebay. They're 100% identical at about 1/4 the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130507181168&viewitem=

Checked on the ebay link you posted for the cabin filter. Says it comes in packs of 2 and its

a very good price.It says it fits a 2006 but when I put in 2004 lexus Rx330 and it said the filter does not fit that model? The

instalation instructions above are for a Lexus 2004 Rx330 right?

Thanks again, Kevin

i'm about 99.9% sure it's the same for all 04-09 models. To be sure take a look at the filter in yours and confirm it looks the same...

• 5 months later...

I love my rx400h and I just changed my license plate light to LED yesterday. Unfortunately, while I was prying the tailgate panels, I broke two clips that held the interior panels to the frame which are those white nylon clips. Now the lower carpeted panel is not holding tigth to the frame when I put them back in place becasue one of its clips is broken. I am thinking to get some replament clips online. I found some of them are really look aliked, does anyone know the exact part number of this particular kind of clip?

try parts.com

Navigate through the menus and you'll find them.

Or, just go to your Lexus dealer. They'll have them in stock and they'll be able to find the parts via the computer.

try parts.com

Or, just go to your Lexus dealer. They'll have them in stock and they'll be able to find the parts via the computer.

Thanks cduluk!!

I found the part number thanks to you. I will also check the dealer to see how much they are selling, seems getting online is being ripped off by the expensive shipping.......

try parts.com

Thanks cduluk!!

I found the part number thanks to you. I will also check the dealer to see how much they are selling, seems getting online is being ripped off by the expensive shipping.......

Good idea, the dealer price for the clips will be more but you'll save on shipping; this works well for small items. Plus the dealer will most likely have them in stock since they're common items. If not, next day. <_<

try parts.com

Thanks cduluk!!

Good idea, the dealer price for the clips will be more but you'll save on shipping; this works well for small items. Plus the dealer will most likely have them in stock since they're common items. If not, next day. <_<

Do you know the part number is the same between Toyota and Lexus? I know Lexus rx is Toyota Harrier in Japan, but I am not sure if they share the same part number on the same thing. I called my local Lexus and Toyota dealers by asking them the price with a same part number, Lexus is selling for $2.38 each, but Toyota is only selling for $1.25 each. I know this not at all expensive, but if they are the same, I would go to Toyota dealer.

• 2 years later...