Power Antenna Keeps Running

mslaton

I have a 93 LS400 and the power antenna keeps running for approximately 30 seconds after the antenna is fully retracted. You can hear the stem grating over the antenna gear in the housing until it finally shuts down. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the antenna mast as I have installed a new one. I have also taken the unit apart (greasy job I might add)and there is no broken pieces inside or any other flaw that I can detect.

Anybody have any idea? A bad resistor or something?

Thx!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 93 LS400 and the power antenna keeps running for approximately 30 seconds after the antenna is fully retracted. You can hear the stem grating over the antenna gear in the housing until it finally shuts down. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the antenna mast as I have installed a new one. I have also taken the unit apart (greasy job I might add)and there is no broken pieces inside or any other flaw that I can detect.

Anybody have any idea? A bad resistor or something?

Thx!

I don't know how to fix your problem but my 96 LS400 did the same thing for about a month then I heard a grinding noise and the power antenna stopped working. I don't have a repair manual. Do you know how to fix my antenna?

Its been awhile since I dealt with a power antenna but I recall that the way they work is there is a flexible plastic wire running thru the mast. One side of the wire has teeth that engage a gear inside the circular motor housing. The motor stops when a sensor on the motor detects a high tension on the wire - fully retracted. Over time the teeth on the plastic wire wear away so the motor will just keep spinning. A timer on the motor stops the motor after a certain amount of time regardless of tension.

This guy has a tutorial on rebuilding the antenna motor. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/powerantenna.html

When I had cars with a power antenna, I always had an on/off switch installed for the antenna. It made it lasts 10 times longer because I controlled when/if the antenna would actually be engaged instead of being engaged every time you start the engine or turn on the radio. Can't help you with repairs.

@mslaton, it's possible that the teeth on the whip aren't "tall" enough to create the tension needed to stop the motor from continuing to run after the mast is fully retracted. They're just tall enough to retract the mast, just not stop the motor until it times out. It could also explain why you don't see anything wrong, they're not tall enough to get worn.

@R White, does the motor run, just not extend/retract the mast? If so, then follow the tutorial ajahearn posted.