Air Conditioning Humming Noise

I have a buzzing/whining noise coming out of my 02 es300. I've had this noise for a couple of years now and it is mostly when the car is at standstill and seems to go away when I drive (or maybe I can't hear it then). The a/c is ice cold in the car and there are no error lights on. Has anyone else had this problem and know what it could be. I hope it's not the compressor. I'm sending in my car for its 90k checkup soon.

I read somewhere that the whining noise is caused by the belt being a teensy bit loose so it vibrates and hums when AC is engaged, as it has to turn that as well and has a little more resistance. Mine does it, too, and AC works fine. Have never gotten around to tightening it up.

Ya I just got my 90k service done and it was just a serpentine belt that needed to be replaced. It's next to the timing belt which was replaced with the service so they changed it for free. I'm sure normally it would be kind of expensive because of the labor but the car is very quiet now when the a/c is on.

• 7 months later...