Out With The Gold, In With The New

ED.

I want to remove the gold badges from my car but Im worried the residue from the glue will leave an outline.

Anyone do this before? I'm thinking Lexus dealer or bodyshop. I will be replacing gold with the standard chrome. I need to do the wheels too.

Thanks

Here in the UK we have a product called sticky label remover,it an aerosol that dissolves the glue without damaging the paintwork,spray it on leave a few minutes then simply remove the badges.Use the same stuff to clean off any residue on a piece of clean cloth.

I would think similar stuff is available to you guys.

http://cpc.farnell.com/servisol/100016000-200ml/label-remover-130-200ml/dp/SALABEL130

While not quite the same issue, I used a little WD-40 to remove the dealer sticker glue from the rear trunk of my LS. (Really dislike giving the dealer free advertising for years on end). Just a little pressure with a microfiber towel took the glue off, and then I followed up with Meguire's quick detail spray to wipe off the WD-40 followed by car wax.

Some of those badges may go into holes drilled into the metal (like the "L" badge on the trunk). I've not fooled around my my car's badges, but if I were switching the badges, I would call a body shop to get a quote. You might find it reasonable to have a pro do it if time is a little tight for you. Also, you may wish to look for a recording on Youtube. Surely someone has done this before.

Good luck!

Micah

You want to get a product called "Goo Gone", that will clean up the residue.

The "L" logo has pins, but the "LEXUS" and "LS 400" do not, make sure you mark where the emblems were so that you can put the new ones in the same spot. I would surround them in blue painter's tape.

I know from my BMW days you can always tell when a car had paint work or rear body damage because the numeric emblem was always off and looked horrible so I will be sure that mine looks legit! I need to find out how much they are. The front one just unscrews so that will be the easy one.