Door Locked Closed

daveflpe

2004 GX, my drivers side door lock started having problems a few days ago and I'd have to cycle the electric locks a couple of times to get it to unlock and open.....but now it's no longer working at all and is now locked. I wanted to remove the door panel to see what was broken inside....but I can't get the door panel off when the door is closed. The key does not in the outside lock either.....uggh!

Any thoughts on how to get the door open? It's really a PITA to keep climbing out the passenger side......

• 1 month later...

My 2007 driver side door lock failed after about 3.5 years (I am original owner). At first the door would sometimes not lock or unlock using the electric lock system. I discovered this failure because I noticed the doors would sometimes not lock when I put the car in gear (ie: my GX is programmed to lock all doors when put in a gear.) Anyway, after a month or so, the door would not lock or unlock at all using the electric system. (I also realized that my GX was left unlocked after using my FOB to lock the car going into stores, etc.... lucky me, nothing was ever stolen.) I have always taken my GX into my Lexus dealer for service. My service guy explained that the solenoid that drives the door lock would begin to loose its strength and ultimately would simply stop locking/unlocking the door (even though you could still hear it trying to work every time you locked/unlocked the door.) He described my symptoms to the letter. I asked my Lexus dealer to fix this and I believe the cost was $257 for the one door... ouch. Most of the cost is labor unpacking the door panel, etc. I have spoken to several folks who have attempted to get into a GX door and everyone says it is a real PITA... and to pay the dealer for this frustrating repair task. I did and my dealer had the car back to me the next day. (My dealer gave me a loaner for the day... it was an RS Hybrid.. interesting drive.)

Not sure why you are having to go into your GX from the passenger side... your (manual) key should still work even if the electric lock system does not.

Not sure why you are having to go into your GX from the passenger side... your (manual) key should still work even if the electric lock system does not.

Unless the whole lock mechanism has broken or is stuck somehow?

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that Toyota/Lexus have a very cheap locking actuators. On my GX (which I've owned brand new since January 2003) I've had every door locked replaced except the left rear door (which is the only door that is hardly opened/closed). My 4Runner which I've owned since brand new in June 2006) I've had the driver's door lock actuator break on me also on the last day of my warranty.